Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year Gooserbat Game Calls gives away a free 2-day guided turkey hunt to servicemen/women who have seen combat since 9/11/2001. This year we partnered with the Oklahoma NWTF to cover the cost of license/tags, NaturalGear Camo provided a set of their SCII camo, and Stuart Ranch Outfitters opened their doors to us for a place to hunt. Sam Pharr, the owner of Gooserbat, and myself did the calling.
Day one was yesterday (May 1) and we began near a pecan bottom where the ranch owner had been seeing birds. We heard two on the roost and was able to work one of them. That turkey gobbled for two hours, but hung up about 100 yards away in some brush. We tried to put a move on him, but we must have been busted. We then went to a different area of the property. I let out a string of cutts and was immediately answered buy a gobble and it was close!
We set up and continued to call. Within 5 minutes we saw him . . . and his girlfriend leading him directly away from us at 80 yards. We let them get out of sight and played cat and mouse for an hour until they moved off the property.
We headed back to the truck to drive the rest of the ranch. This portion of the Stuart Ranch is comprised of about 13,500 acres, so we had plenty of land to roam!
We drove through the pasture roads, stopping and calling every few hundred yards and glassing fields/hillsides. We were just starting to discuss heading back to the lodge for lunch and a nap when we turned a corner and saw 2 strutters and a hen a mere 80 yards away! The birds began to move off, but really were not spooked so we backed the truck back down the road and gave them a couple minutes to calm down.
We snuck along/through the brush and set up. Sam gave out a few yelps and was immediately answered. We gave them a few minutes and called again. They gobbled, but were further away.
I decided to throw a hail mary and I let out a series of cuts, excited yelps, and aggressive purrs and was greeted by a double set of triple gobbles! Sam joined in and we gave them A LOT of calling for several seconds. These birds hammered so hard that I thought they were going to suffocate themselves!
We set up at 11:15 and by 11:25 they were in view, coming in hard! Our veteran thought they would come to the left of a small clump of bushes, but of course they came from the right. He tried to get on the lead bird, obviously the dominant of the two since he was strutting and doing most of the gobbling, but he just could not get it done. He then focused on the second bird and let him have a load of Winchester Supreme #6s as 25 yards, the bird folded and barely flopped.
The bird weighed 19 lbs with 5/8 inch spurs but sported an impressive 11 inch beard! This was a great hunt for a man that has done so much for our country!
Here is a picture of the successful hunt!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Wow! Congrats to you guys for putting that on!

Great story with a happy ending. Was it his first bird?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was actually his second, but first with a shotgun. He is an avid bowhunter and took one with a bow last year (or the year before). He is a pretty good caller, though. He calls for his friends up in Michigan and I think he said he has called in 10 or 12. Apparently in Michigan the turkey tags are via lottery and he does not get a tag every year.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I know a hunter from Michigan. That's correct, they have a lottery. He hates it, so the years he doesn't get drawn he flys down here to hunt with me.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Big thanks to you all for putting this program on for the Vets. I appreciate it and I'm sure the guys going on the hunts REALLY appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool deal y'all put on.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
So how does a service member get into such an event drawing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts