Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said in my intro post, I'm just now getting into hunting, and I want to start learning how to shoot a bow. I've read several opinions online, but I wanted to get more from some fellow Oklahomans.

What would be a good starter bow? Should I start with a recurve, compound, etc.? And what are the benefits/downfalls of both (if any)? I would like to stay in the $200-$300 range if possible.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Thrash 13,
You get what you pay for in the low end bows.
Step it up to the $450.00 market & you will get a better bow with more.
Compound Bow will be your best bet.

You get let off up to 85% off the draw weight on some compounds.
Recurve's & long bows offer no let off.
So when your @ full draw you can hold it for longer just in case that deer hangs up on you.
That's with a compound.

All the brand names are good...Just pick one that fits you the best- just like a gun.
BowTech,Hoyt,Browning,PSE,Bear,Parker,Matthew,Alpine,Martin,Jennings the list go's on.
They are all good.You really can't get a bad one anymore with the way Tech stuff is now a days.

Remember this if you shoot a Pope & Young Animal your compound must be @ 65% let-off in order to make the books.{If you decided to be a trophy hunter!!!}

Most compounds in the $350-$450 market come with all you need to get shooting.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Thrash

If you are interested I have an 08 model hoyt that is brand new that orginally went for 759.95 that I can let go for 500.00 plus tax. If it will help you out give me a call

Michael

918-402-8344

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
I'm not sure of your age or physical abilities, but a used compound bow that has a 50% let off will let you hold for a long time in my experience. Not as long as the new ones, but if your looking to get into it bargain basement, look into pawn shops or local newspaper ads. I took 21 deer with my 50% let off, and would still be using it today if not for arm surgery that limits me to a crossbow now. Its all part of deer hunting to get them in range, and then be able to draw. There are lots of techniques for doing this. A decoy that is on the trail opposite of where you are will distract them so you can draw, set up on a corner where the trail turns, or a pile of corn, or if its a windy day in Okla, they will turn their heads to hear a different sound. Its all about hunting, and knowing your game. Deer are spooky animals. They move their head to pick up scents, and sounds on a regular basis. I will say I missed an opportunity or two because I couldn't hold long enough, but its a rare case in my experience. Archery is totally dependant on scent control. Control your scent and you control the deer.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
I'm not sure of your age or physical abilities, but a used compound bow that has a 50% let off will let you hold for a long time in my experience. Not as long as the new ones, but if your looking to get into it bargain basement, look into pawn shops or local newspaper ads. I took 21 deer with my 50% let off, and would still be using it today if not for arm surgery that limits me to a crossbow now. Its all part of deer hunting to get them in range, and then be able to draw. There are lots of techniques for doing this. A decoy that is on the trail opposite of where you are will distract them so you can draw, set up on a corner where the trail turns, or a pile of corn, or if its a windy day in Okla, they will turn their heads to hear a different sound. Its all about hunting, and knowing your game. Deer are spooky animals. They move their head to pick up scents, and sounds on a regular basis. I will say I missed an opportunity or two because I couldn't hold long enough, but its a rare case in my experience. Archery is totally dependant on scent control. Control your scent and you control the deer.
Great advice my friend.

Michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, thanks for the responses. All were very helpful.

I've decided I'm going to save up a little money over the next few months and get one around the holidays. That way, I can afford to get a nicer one and be better off down the road. And that will allow me to practice quite a bit before next year's hunting season. I've seen some places that say a recurve is a good bow to start with, but I'm really leaning towards a compound.

Tulsahunter, I appreciate the offer, and I'll probably stay in touch with you over the next few months. I'm not ready to get one now, but I'll probably be getting one in December or so. I'll keep in touch.

Dennishoddy, thanks for the response. I'm 27 and in pretty decent physical condition. I haven't shot a bow that many times in my life, and that will be the toughest part of the entire process. When the time comes, I'll definitely go to a bow shop or something and get one specifically fitted for my style. If I'm going to be spending a decent amount of money, I might as well get the best fit. I just don't know much about all the bow lingo right now, but I'll pick it up over time.

Lastly, am I a little crazy for wanting to learn how to shoot a bow before perfecting a shotgun/rifle? For some reason, I don't have as much desire to kill something with a gun, and that's the reason I want to go the bow route.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Your welcome, that is what were all here for to help one another out.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Thrash,

Are you right or left handed. IF you are left handed I may have a hell of a deal for you on a slightly used Diamond. It is in the price range that you were talking about. Found it today at the shop.

Michael

918-402-8344

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Call me tomorrow when I am at the shop and I will look it up. Hopefully I can beat that price.

Michael

918-402-8344

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Thrash 13...
Ask gottahunt about PSE he's on their Pro Staff Team.

He will be back sometime Friday.
Better yet send him a P.M.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
First off, thanks for the responses. All were very helpful.

Dennishoddy, thanks for the response. I'm 27 and in pretty decent physical condition. I haven't shot a bow that many times in my life, and that will be the toughest part of the entire process. When the time comes, I'll definitely go to a bow shop or something and get one specifically fitted for my style. If I'm going to be spending a decent amount of money, I might as well get the best fit. I just don't know much about all the bow lingo right now, but I'll pick it up over time.

Lastly, am I a little crazy for wanting to learn how to shoot a bow before perfecting a shotgun/rifle? For some reason, I don't have as much desire to kill something with a gun, and that's the reason I want to go the bow route.

Thanks again everyone.
You've already made a good decision to wait and get what you want. the worst thing you can do shooting a bow, is to get equipment that is not matched to the bow. You'll wonder why you can't hit a barn at 20 yds.

I started out that way. I had no forums to learn from, no mentors to teach me. Just bought a bow and went after it.
I started with a recurve, but quickly found I preferred the compound. Just don't tell Fred Bear that you can't kill anything with a recurve. He took almost every animal on earth to include an elephant with a recurve. Shot placement kills.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm right handed, so that one won't work for me. Thanks for the reply though.

I'll do a lot more looking, but this is one of the ones I have my eye on right now. Does anyone know anything about this one?

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135543&u=0918NI
Thrash13 that would be an excellent bow to start with. Make sure you get one that fits you. Have someone measure your draw length and make sure the weight is good for you too. Don't get caught up in the macho man stuff and buy a bow with too heavy a draw weight. Today's compounds are extremely fast compared to what we used to shoot. If you have a bow shop around that can help you please use it. They will help you get setup and also help you with a release, arrows and all the other neat stuff that goes along with your bow.

Bass Pro is having their Fall Classic starting this weekend and that bow is one they have on sale. Most Bass Pro shops around the country will have PSE Pro Staff on site this weekend to help you get the bow setup the way you need it with all the accessories you want and most stores will let you shoot them while you are there. If you are close to one, go find the PSE guy and have him set one up for you to try.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
I can get you into that package for about 379.95 and have our bow tech set it up for you. You will also get a month of free range use with the bow purchase.

Michael
The Brass Shack
5324 E. Admiral Pl
Tulsa, OK 74115

918-402-8344

1 - 14 of 14 Posts