Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up at 0500 this morning thinking I had plenty of time to get to the lease before daybreak. Wrong. I left at 0530 and got there at 0700hrs. As I was trying to get my gear on, I hear gobbling from across the road. Im in high gear now, trying to get my vest on and gun loaded. More gobbling. They are coming. I get ready and get about 100 yards from the car, down in a dried pond. Im trying to figure out whether to mess with the decoy or just set up. Here they come over the tree tops and landing right in front of me at around 50 yards. NO WAY. Im still trying to get head net and gloves on. They mill around. I yelp and shake my gobbler. They answer. I peak around the tree and there are 4-5 Toms in full strut. I pick one out. BOOM. 45 steps from my hiding place. Not the big boys Ive seen, but will eat just as good. Now I can go back and concentrate on the big ones when I can stay all day. I was pressed for time since son has ball game this evening. After I got the bird, i went on to my blind for awhile. It was getting pretty hot, so I decided I better take care of my bird. When I got back to the car, my drivers door was wide open. Im looking around thinking someone has broken in my car. Apparently in my haste to get in ambush position, I failed to shut my door good. Oooops. Luckily a cow was inside my car.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Sometimes I think a hunt that is just like you described is a whole lot more fun than one carefully planned out.

congrats on the tom :D

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Ya gotta love when a plan doesn't have time to come together!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Congrats on opening day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts