Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a doe opening morning and my buck Tuesday morning. Got the doe with my 6.8 and the buck with my Savage 99 .308. He was 15 minutes behind a doe. He spun just as I shot. At first i thought I made a bad front shoulder shot as he spun. I decided to check the blood trail and if I didnt find him within 50 yards I was gonna get back in blind and give him several hours. Looked where he was standing and found a fist size patch of hair. Then the blood trail started. The best blood trail I ever saw on any deer. It looked like blood was poured out of a bucket. It was a steady stream all the way to him. As he crashed it was spraying all over a small cedar tree. As I looked at him, i only found an entrance wound. WHAT? A .308 only making an entrance wound at about 30 yards. After I did my CSI on him while skinning I found out what had happened. He was indeed spinning to go back after his lady friend when I fired. The bullet slice about a 3--4 gash in his side and lodged in his neck. It took out several ribs. The deadliest mushroom in the woods had done its job well. All this blood from one hole, incredible.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only thing bad about the rut is that nothing is standing still. Everything was moving this year. Even the does I saw were moving like they were tired of being chased.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
That 6.8 tore him up!! nothing tells the story of bullet performance better than an autopsy. If I'm not wrong, this years lease has been more productive than some you have had in the past?
Over the years, using several different bullets, I've seen the rusults of different bullet construction. Its amazing what some bullets that are classified as "hunting bullets" lack in performance.
Is that an eotech with a magnifier?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a Holosight, which is made in the same factory. Only difference is it doesn't have the cage around it. 3x eotech magnifier

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrats. I have the same 308 Win in a Savage 99E.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is a 99F

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool. They look very close to being the same lever gun.
Yours looks better as well... my bluing is just about gone.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want one with a detachable mag in .243

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Savage made one?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I'm still kicking myself for not getting one about 10 years ago. They only made for a short while. U find on gunbroker still

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gauge, its the 99C. But get out the plastic. Theres a few on Gunbroker right now.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I'll go take a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Been considering getting a 6.8 upper but can't decide between it or the 30 Remmy. How do you think the 6.8 would do on an elk and what ranges?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't feel under gunned out to 300 w/ good bullets

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Congrats on the double down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts