Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Permethrin on your clothes is your friend. I didn’t find a single tick on my skin when I got home. Saw em crawling on my pants. But it kills em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have some bottles from OK. Used the hell outta that stuff.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hows the ticks there?

I bathe in OFF before I head out. I stink to high places, but if you hunt the wind right at night it isn't as much of a problem as you'd think.

I did get busted somewhat last night, but I had already set up and was trying to confirm hogs in the trees, so as soon as the closest sows head shot up I just put a bullet in it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Off doesn’t seem to work I used a can on me the other day and in probably 30 minutes or so had small ticks all over each arm. This might seem like a fishing story but there were literally hundreds on each arm my skin looked like it was moving I had to abandon putting my stand up and go home to shower. It was a pretty disgusting feeling and I still don’t have a stand up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Saturate clothes only. Let dry. It’s smell free. I’ve actually watched ticks crawling on my pants flip upside down and die. I spray socks, under wear, shirt, pants and hat. I even spray inside the tops of my boots and inside waste band for good measure. I’ve never found on on me yet since I started using. My buddy found several dead seed ticks on his socks when he took his shoes off. But key word is “dead”

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Best to spray the night before probably. This might have just changed my life, I seriously had hundreds of ticks on me the other day. It has me wondering if I would be hunting at all in October. Thanks for the information

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Been wading in the high grass for several days now. Zero ticks or chiggers. We don't have em much in Grant County, at least where I hunt. We have ticks but no chiggers in Osage county where we live.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Been wading in the high grass for several days now. Zero ticks or chiggers. We don't have em much in Grant County, at least where I hunt. We have ticks but no chiggers in Osage county where we live.
Chiggers here that’s another story. You ever get chiggers on your nipples? I don’t need to tell the rest of that story I’m sure you get it.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’d spray my clothes down a day or two before the first hint and then wear those clothes for several hunts. That stuff is awesome!!

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
I’d spray my clothes down a day or two before the first hint and then wear those clothes for several hunts. That stuff is awesome!!
Yep, same here if going into insect country.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’ve warn a Ghillie suit a few times when hunting in spots with no cover and sprayed it down as well. Didn’t find any on it either.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That’s something I wouldn’t mind getting ahold of either. I called the local Walmart this morning and they have no idea what I’m talking about as far as the bug spray.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
That’s something I wouldn’t mind getting ahold of either. I called the local Walmart this morning and they have no idea what I’m talking about as far as the bug spray.
Go to the camping section. That’s where I’ve found it in an aerosol can.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You can find it by the other bug sprays in the camping area. The Walmart we have here is the 2nd smallest in the entire chain and we carry it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just got back from Luther. We went mainly to get several feeders up and running. I was on the path going to a feeder and was trimming the pathway with my loppers. Making all kinds of noise when my buddy starts hollering at me PIGS. I dropped the loppers and was running for the truck to get the Six 8. He said a big group was out in the pasture. Sure enough there’s about 20 of em. They were heading in our general direction and the wind was right. We slipped back into the timber and snuck down behind a cedar tree to with in 50-60 yards. We counted to 3 and fired. He hit one with his 10mm banshee and I hit one with 6.8. Hogs went running. I took another shot and hit one running. The first one and most of the sounder ran over the hill and out of sight. I couldn’t get finishers in either of the ones I hit. Then I see several big ones running to the right, followed by a piglet. I start putting rounds into one and she’s soaking them up. He’s pumping 10mm into the other. I could have sworn I saw them go down and turned my attention to the viscous piglet that was running right at me. At point blank I fired in self defense and my round went through top of skull and came out bottom jaw. Made a mess. Then my buddy says, “ I can’t believe they made it to the trees.” What????? No way. So the tracking begins. We find blood and follow it to both of em. One was still alive and I snuck up behind it and put a 10mm from my pistol into its head. We went back to where the shooting started but could find no more blood or dead pigs in the grass. Or at least not that we could see in deep grass. But it sure was fun. Oh yeah. Had on same treated clothes from other day. As soon as I stepped out of truck when we got there I saw at least 7 seed ticks crawling on my pants legs. I just watched and in less than a minute all died on pants or died and fell off. I just got home and threw clothes in wash and didn’t find a single tick on my body.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
That had to be exciting!

Reactions: diggler1833
21 - 40 of 64 Posts