Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Congrats on the ducks. For whatever reason, we are not getting ducks in this part of the flyway this year, and I'm not the only one noticing it.
Buddy and I bought duck stamps this year for the first time in many years. He wants to try to eat one again after learning the mistakes he made in the past when cooking them, and I want the feathers for some fly tying.
Nothing but geese around here so far.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Congrats on the ducks. For whatever reason, we are not getting ducks in this part of the flyway this year, and I'm not the only one noticing it.
Buddy and I bought duck stamps this year for the first time in many years. He wants to try to eat one again after learning the mistakes he made in the past when cooking them, and I want the feathers for some fly tying.
Nothing but geese around here so far.
I have had more ducks this season than the last one. I killed only 2 on pond last season. If I was you go after those geese. If you get one filet the breast out and bake it until it is medium rear with a cherry glaze.

· Premium Member
707 Posts
I am in Guatemala this week on a church mission drilling a water well for poor village .

The down side is that in the hotel here in Guatemala we can get phone and text which includes linkage to the cameras on the lease and these pictures came in this morning.

Black Branch Flash photography Deer Lighting

Fawn Grass Natural landscape Tree Wood

The plus side is that rifle season is over and all the archers on the lease have filled their buck tags, except me.

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
The buck in that first pic has one heck of a drop tine.
Talk to us about drilling the well. Is it done with mechanical equipment or by manual drilling? I'd like to hear more.

· Registered
2,829 Posts
Never really did understand mission trips like this. Do the folks not know how to do it themselves, is it a money thing, not enough laborers. How have they managed this far if they couldn’t get their own water. Great thing you’re doing, just never did understand it myself.

· Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a friend who I believe is a member of Life Church or something like that. He and several other members have done this same thing for a couple of villages. The women and children were literally walking as far as 5 or 6 miles with a big ceramic vase on their heads or 2 hanging from a stick across their shoulders through some really rough country that has many big cats, baboons other dangerous big game just to get water that is of very poor quality. First trip they made to Africa was spoiled when their 3 shipping containers were seized and stolen by (don't quote me here but maybe Somali bandits or people like that) second trip they were able to drill 2 wells only to have the same type of criminals come in a take over the area where they drilled the wells. 3rd time they got 2 wells and short pipe line laid to villagers. My friend tells me there's just no resources or expendable income in these remote areas and corruption is rampant. If that's not bad enough you still gave to keep your head on swivel so you don't get ate by a leopard or lion or have rhino run your ass down as a baboon bites you. And there's snakes too.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
In my time overseas, I've seen some things that totally turned me off to charitable giving to foreign countries.
At Pusan Korea, I watched a cargo ship unload pallets of rice from UNICEF with big writing on them in our language and theirs that it was a gift from the United States of America to that country.
As soon as the pallets hit the dock they were moved by fork lift to an area where people were rebagging the rice into sacks to sell on the open markets.
At the same docks, they were also unloading special walk behind tractors designed to help the rice farmers get the rice in quicker and easier from another charity who's name escapes me at the moment.
Once again the equipment was taken to another area where the engines were stripped out for whatever use I never found out. Huge pile of left over chassis that I'm sure was sold for scrap.
As Murph said, when the water becomes available, the thugs take it over. It never ends in those third world countries.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Jumped my pond this morning and snagged 1 bird. Here's a ugly mugshot of me with the bird.
Glasses Cloud Goggles Sunglasses Sky

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Excellent! I’ll get your points posted.

· Premium Member
707 Posts
Bear Cruzer and Muzzy three blade screw in's My wife gave me the bow several years ago for Christmas to get me back interested in archery hunting.. I don't know if the bow is good bad or indifferent. It works fine for me and I am happy with it.

I the early 80's when i first started archery hunting I used a Jennings bow and muzzy broad heads, so that is why I got Muzzy broad heads this time-they worked for me then,

I have not taken anything with this Bear, yet, but i did get a shot at an amadillo.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts