Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Never thought about calling for raccoons.

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
No. I called them in. If they are there they will either set on a limb and stare at you or come down the tree a run right at you. Works day or night. Shot these at around 10 this morning

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
OK, I’m on the hook like others.
I’ve seen some electronic calls that offered raccoon calls. Never tried them. We need techniques. Just the app and phone? Additional speaker?
Back in the day I ran with a crusty old guy that searched cottonwood tree trunks and some others for scratch marks that showed the trees to be hollow and a possible den for raccoons by leaving the scratch marks they left climbing trees.
He used the old time tree spikes on his boots and a rope around it to climb to the openings. Used a .22 pistol to shoot the critters in the hole and a treble hook on a string to bring them out.
Well into his 70’s doing this. Trapper/hunter like no other I’ve ever seen.
Unfortunately cancer ended his life.
Are you using the scratch marks to locate them and call them out of the den?

Reactions: Kicker

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am using a few different apps on my phone and a Bluetooth JBL speaker. I like to go to areas with huge oak trees. It’s amazing how well a raccoon can hide while sleeping in the forks of them way up high in the branches. Known den trees and old abandoned houses or hay barns are prime spots too. Turn it up about 3/4 volume and hit play. If you don’t see one in 3-5 minutes quit calling because it’s not gonna happen. They will usually show themselves in the first minute or two. Some will just peek at you others will come to you wanting to fight. Never have checked to see what sex the aggressive ones were. Camouflage is not required. I’ve called them in a White long sleeve shirt and straw hat before. I used to hunt with an older man who had good hounds and he could squall them out of a tree by using his mouth. I’ve seen them crawl down the tree into 3 or 4 dogs before. Late January and February the raccoon fight works well when the males are rutting and looking for females.
Helpful hint if using an app on your phone. Shut of all notifications or put it on airplane mode because it will be like the post Dennis made about his phone going off only a lot louder through the Bluetooth speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
So you just downloaded a couple animal call apps on your phone then? Which apps do you like best? I’m going to pass this along to my son. He has a couple of those speakers and is actively trying to trap some raccoons right now as well.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
So you just downloaded a couple animal call apps on your phone then? Which apps do you like best? I’m going to pass this along to my son. He has a couple of those speakers and is actively trying to trap some raccoons right now as well.
iHunt and Predator pro are the two I use the most. Not a big fan of digitally reproduced call sounds but there’s hardly any original sounds out there. I would think any of the 4 to 5 star rated apps would be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Absolutely no hunting skills were used to get this cat. I was fixing a water gap on some fence and looked up to see it sitting on its butt about 25 yards away. I froze for a few seconds and then pretty much knew there was no way I could get up the edge of the creek bank and walk the 20 some yards to the truck and get my gun. Can't believe it but it must have been curiosity (killed the cat) because it never moved and I made it to the truck and got it shot.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Sweet cat. Congrats.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
Big cat that looks well fed. Congrats!

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
That was a fat cat. Don't think I've even taken one over 20 some lbs.

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
Got a nice doe tonight with the Marlin 336 lever gun in .44 mag. 230 grain jacketed hollow point.
A little high taking out the liver but watched her drop.
Easy recovery and load into the truck using the atv winch.
I screwed up my back years ago trying to pull a big buck over the tail gate.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Got a nice doe tonight with the Marlin 336 lever gun in .44 mag. 230 grain jacketed hollow point.
A little high taking out the liver but watched her drop.
Easy recovery and load into the truck using the atv winch.
I screwed up my back years ago trying to pull a big buck over the tail gate.

So you’re one of this guys using an ATV to drive right up to your game and load it up?

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
So you’re one of this guys using an ATV to drive right up to your game and load it up?
Yep. My ground, no vehicle regulations except shooting from a moving vehicle which didn't happen. The heated blind with spaghetti and meat ball snack warmed up on the buddy heater was my only vice.

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
You should have just looped your cable around you 5th wheel hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually thought about doing that, or hooking the snatch block to it instead of the tie down in the bed.

·
Administrator
15,415 Posts
Shot a coyote this morning as it was peeking over a pond damn. Hit him right in the popsicle licker. Mange was really bad on him. That Barnes bullet really made his cranium swell. Monty Python style "Head" "Head"

Oversized poofy heads are good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 153 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.