Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Going to Ponca lake today. Crappie on Kaw are in transition from deep water toward the spawning season. Buddy fishes there almost every day. Said this last week has been very slow.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
No luck on the crappie today. Caught a half dozen bass late, but the crappie are not to be found. The coming cold weather will set them back some as far as the spawn/water temps.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Went to our local lake to see if crappie had moved to the banks yet, and ended up with a fish story.
Second cast, hooked a crappie about 12” long. Getting it to the rocks I was standing on and just about to lift it out of the water, a channel cat in the range of 12-14 lbs came up, inhaled the crappie and swam away.
My crappie rod only has 4 lb line on it so the cat did as it pleased. Had the drag set so there was at least some pull it fighting against. It moved all over cove with me moving from rock to rock. After about 30 minutes the jig just pulled out.
Yeah, the one that got away story.
Another few casts another channel cat on the jigs. This one finally came in so I could grab it.
Guesstimating 4 lbs.
A few casts later, a Kentucky bass hit and was landed. It was getting late and I was in shorts and windbreaker with the temp dropping like a rock so called it a day.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Went with a guide on Lake Cleburne in Tx the other day.
We boated up to the windy dam and anchored just off the bank.
Our guide was the gentleman that invented Mr Whiskers catfish bait sold in Walmarts nationwide as well as other outlets.
85 years old and still guiding fishermen.
We never moved and caught around 130 channel cats, releasing the short fish and pregnant females, keeping a 4 man limit of 100.
25 were mine.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I guess that bait works after all. Heck of a haul of cats.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Had a great morning on Lake Texoma today.
The pile is 100 stripers. A limit for 10 people. Our group had 50 from that pile.
A limit of 10 are mine.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Had a great morning on Lake Texoma today.
The pile is 100 stripers. A limit for 10 people. Our group had 50 from that pile.
A limit of 10 are mine.

Are the stripers getting any bigger in texaoma? Used to go back in the late 80’s and 90’s and caught some big ones. Then I think they had a fish kill or something and the fish got smaller for several years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Are the stripers getting any bigger in texaoma? Used to go back in the late 80’s and 90’s and caught some big ones. Then I think they had a fish kill or something and the fish got smaller for several years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There was a huge flooding event several years ago where many of the biggest stripers went through the dam. Stripers as well as lots of game fish swim down stream in current.
Several guides were in at the same time we came in. Most were the size of our fish but there was the occasional over 20”.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Crappie taco time. I know a good fly for that lol.

Reactions: dennishoddy
141 - 153 of 153 Posts