Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellers,

I’m always trying to figure out a way to get the hell out of this office life and go do something in the outdoors that would put food on the table, and clothes on my children’s back (I think I’ll just let the wife go bare ;) ) hahaha. Anyways..
What are some ideas you guys have had that could be a business that supports the outdoorsman, and yourself? I think this would be a fun and interesting topic, and also interested to see what you all think about my ideas. Please don’t hesitate what you think would be a good idea you never know.

Here’s some of mine:
1: Go pre scout public land, hang some strategic stands and sell the knowledge of the spot to people that don’t have/want to go out to put boots on the ground for scouting. So all they have to do is hunt at the spot on the winds you have it set up for?

2: Do a personalized hunting video for people. Whether that be someone’s first hunt, (A dad wants to get his sons first hunt and kill professionally recorded), or just some corny red neck like myself that’s always thought it would be cool to have a hunt videoed like the guys on TV. I’ve always thought it would be cool as hell to have someone video some of the hunts I go on. Lol of course you would have to be good with editing/production/videoing. But there are classes for that.

3. Build custom ghillie suits/mobile hunting packages for people.

Anyways, guys these are just some thoughts in their infancy stage so don’t get to harsh on me lol.
What are some thoughts/ideas you guys have had over the years that you think people would pay for that would allow you to get paid to do something you love in the outdoors?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
There was once a time when AlongCameJones once ruled these forums...

In all actuality man, #1 isn't going to work for a variety of reasons, but chance of success and the fact that you're trying to sell a seat on public land are two that come to mind.

Not trying to be hash as you mentioned...just that there is no work-around for those two.

However, if you could prove to be a good at filming and editing, I see some potential for that service. Getting in with guides or outfits for a little bit of a kickback might be a touch harder...you'd need several well done videos for reference already. Plus the cost of initial equipment investment is going to be HIGH. You aren't going to be recommended if you roll out there with a GoPro or cell phone. However, big shows hire specialized cameramen all the time...but they're carrying $25K+ worth of equipment up into a tree too.

I enjoy "guiding" my family, but certainly wouldn't enjoy the pressure of a client who dumped thousands into a hunt and is looking at me for success.

ACJ was looking for a porter at one time to wait on him during the hunt, and then come in and dress out and haul the kill back to his car... however I think his expectation on pricing was a bit off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was once a time when AlongCameJones once ruled these forums...

In all actuality man, #1 isn't going to work for a variety of reasons, but chance of success and the fact that you're trying to sell a seat on public land are two that come to mind.

Not trying to be hash as you mentioned...just that there is no work-around for those two.

However, if you could prove to be a good at filming and editing, I see some potential for that service. Getting in with guides or outfits for a little bit of a kickback might be a touch harder...you'd need several well done videos for reference already. Plus the cost of initial equipment investment is going to be HIGH. You aren't going to be recommended if you roll out there with a GoPro or cell phone. However, big shows hire specialized cameramen all the time...but they're carrying $25K+ worth of equipment up into a tree too.

I enjoy "guiding" my family, but certainly wouldn't enjoy the pressure of a client who dumped thousands into a hunt and is looking at me for success.

ACJ was looking for a porter at one time to wait on him during the hunt, and then come in and dress out and haul the kill back to his car... however I think his expectation on pricing was a bit off.
Hahaha thanks for the feed back. It’s just more fun to think about than put the work into and do. Dealing with people usually isn’t a winning strategy for me anyways hahaha. You didn’t add any ideas of your own to the thread, non to give?

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I know a business that would work but it would be seasonal at best and require an expensive startup.
I actually toyed with the thought of doing this before I retired because the equipment was already bought and paid for.
Custom food plots for deer and turkey hunters.
The business is out there. I started talking to folks at different outdoor banquets, social media, etc., talking to lots of folks that don’t have the equipment to put in the food plots, willing to pay someone to do it for them but they didn’t know anyone to do it.
Compact tractor, tiller attachment, brush hog, seed spreader or one of the universal do it all planters out there but they are extremely expensive and not suitable for some soils.
That equipment plus a truck and trailer long enough to transport the equipment in one trip.
I would charge a flat rate per acre, not hourly, as with the right equipment, one can put in a lot of food plot in a few hours.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a business that would work but it would be seasonal at best and require an expensive startup. I actually toyed with the thought of doing this before I retired because the equipment was already bought and paid for. Custom food plots for deer and turkey hunters. The business is out there. I started talking to folks at different outdoor banquets, social media, etc., talking to lots of folks that don’t have the equipment to put in the food plots, willing to pay someone to do it for them but they didn’t know anyone to do it. Compact tractor, tiller attachment, brush hog, seed spreader or one of the universal do it all planters out there but they are extremely expensive and not suitable for some soils. That equipment plus a truck and trailer long enough to transport the equipment in one trip. I would charge a flat rate per acre, not hourly, as with the right equipment, one can put in a lot of food plot in a few hours.
Yes absolutely! That would be awesome! However like you said, a lot of money up front. Man that would be so damn fun though hahaha.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I have the time to do it now, along with the equipment, but we travel so much it wouldn't be practical, so I just put mine in and help a couple buddies.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hahaha thanks for the feed back. It’s just more fun to think about than put the work into and do. Dealing with people usually isn’t a winning strategy for me anyways hahaha. You didn’t add any ideas of your own to the thread, non to give?
Only gun/hunting thing I've ever done for money (and made a horrible hourly wage on) was a few S&W "action jobs" and full cleaning. S&W charged I think $165 or something like that at the time, and I was doing them for $60 as a hobby. I maybe did 6-7.

I flipped a couple stainless revolvers that I lightly "restored", but again the amount of effort and time put me well under $10/hr after shipping and FFL transfer fees. Then there was the problem that I liked a couple too much and kept them. This 629 is a perfect example: I had to replace the cylinder stop, and add cylinder and yoke endshake bearings to get it to time and function properly...then I spent about 10 hours polishing out all the scratches and returning the finish back to factory. The grips were too far gone to salvage, so I added some smooth factory targets...and by the time I was done liked the gun too much to sell.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

It doesn't count; but my brother insisted on giving me $500 (which includes me sourcing the components) to develop and load 100 rounds for his 7 mag that I gathered the parts for. I'll make next to nothing, but its my brother, and I look at it like I'll be tinkering on the range with someone else's dime.

My food plot knowledge isn't good enough to hire out, so I don't humor the ideas.

I can figure out where deer are most likely to move pretty well. But that is on private land that I'm investing a lot of time into.

My fishing knowledge is a solid "3" on a scale of 1-10, so that's a no-go as well.

I do have enough of a marksmanship background to get my foot in the door as a basic instructor provided I go and get a few basic certifications. CQB type stuff is a no-go as those TTPs change every couple years, and I'm outdated. To be honest though, really working with someone on the fundamentals is just not fun (for either party). If it is fun...you're not doing it right. Plus I'm so rural that there just isn't enough of a potential client base.

Bottom line: I'm a wash for solid money-making ideas in the outdoors arena.

Now, if there were a job for an internet troll on the forums....😄

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only gun/hunting thing I've ever done for money (and made a horrible hourly wage on) was a few S&W "action jobs" and full cleaning. S&W charged I think $165 or something like that at the time, and I was doing them for $60 as a hobby. I maybe did 6-7.

I flipped a couple stainless revolvers that I lightly "restored", but again the amount of effort and time put me well under $10/hr after shipping and FFL transfer fees. Then there was the problem that I liked a couple too much and kept them. This 629 is a perfect example: I had to replace the cylinder stop, and add cylinder and yoke endshake bearings to get it to time and function properly...then I spent about 10 hours polishing out all the scratches and returning the finish back to factory. The grips were too far gone to salvage, so I added some smooth factory targets...and by the time I was done liked the gun too much to sell.
View attachment 9585

It doesn't count; but my brother insisted on giving me $500 (which includes me sourcing the components) to develop and load 100 rounds for his 7 mag that I gathered the parts for. I'll make next to nothing, but its my brother, and I look at it like I'll be tinkering on the range with someone else's dime.

My food plot knowledge isn't good enough to hire out, so I don't humor the ideas.

I can figure out where deer are most likely to move pretty well. But that is on private land that I'm investing a lot of time into.

My fishing knowledge is a solid "3" on a scale of 1-10, so that's a no-go as well.

I do have enough of a marksmanship background to get my foot in the door as a basic instructor provided I go and get a few basic certifications. CQB type stuff is a no-go as those TTPs change every couple years, and I'm outdated. To be honest though, really working with someone on the fundamentals is just not fun (for either party). If it is fun...you're not doing it right. Plus I'm so rural that there just isn't enough of a potential client base.

Bottom line: I'm a wash for solid money-making ideas in the outdoors arena.

Now, if there were a job for an internet troll on the forums....😄
Buhahaha well hey, you keep it to the point and realistic. I can’t fault you there. An ol red neck country boy can dream about living in the wilderness and making a living doing it though hahahaha. I suppose the lord put the path in front of me for a reason with a wife and kids, cause lord knows I am a shell of who I would be without them.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I always wanted a one ton truck and flatbed trailer and build showers on part of it and laundry service on the other park at the base of the mountains during hunting season
I can remember 2 times coming off the mountains in Colorado that I would’ve gave you every penny to my name for you that service. My head was itching from wearing a stocking cap for a week straight and pretty sure the critters could smell me back in Oklahoma. No wonder we didn’t kill any elk. I think it was Gunnison that we stopped at both times at a convenience store that had showers. I stayed in there a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Off topic in a kinda sort of way.
I use to live on the South Carolina coast. That inshore bite is as good as it gets…but anyways. We always joked around about offering a mobile bait shop. Some of the boat ramps would have an insane amount of traffic. If we could have mud minnows, shrimp, and fiddler crabs readily available we could have made some money. Them fellas in those $30k boats don’t want to catch bait themselves.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Off topic in a kinda sort of way.
I use to live on the South Carolina coast. That inshore bite is as good as it gets…but anyways. We always joked around about offering a mobile bait shop. Some of the boat ramps would have an insane amount of traffic. If we could have mud minnows, shrimp, and fiddler crabs readily available we could have made some money. Them fellas in those $30k boats don’t want to catch bait themselves.
Very interesting! So there’s not massive bait shops guys can go to for buying in bulk, or there are it’s just not readily available? That’s exactly the type of thinking I’m talking about though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bait shops have time restrictions, distance from boat ramp and bait bucket requirements.

Sitting at the boat ramp I could top off the bait wells/buckets while they back their boat off and park their truck. If you were smart you would carry some Cajun bobbers, circle hooks and egg sinkers for add on items.
If you could store ice too that would be an additional item.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Bait shops have time restrictions, distance from boat ramp and bait bucket requirements.

Sitting at the boat ramp I could top off the bait wells/buckets while they back their boat off and park their truck. If you were smart you would carry some Cajun bobbers, circle hooks and egg sinkers for add on items.
If you could store ice too that would be an additional item.
When I was stationed in Leavenworth Ks in the 70's we used to camp at Perry Lake by Topeka. There was a truck circling all the campgrounds during the summer selling bait and tackle off one side of the trailer and Ice cream off the other with firewood in the truck he was pulling the trailer with. Had a refrigeration unit on top for the ice cream and a compressor to supply air to the bait. It would take him an hour to get through the campground before moving on to another. Seasonal at best though with little sales during the week when the campgrounds were mostly empty. Great gig for a retired person or someone that wants to work weekends.
Off the california coast there are floating bait docks. Pull up in your boat, walk around the dock to look into the cages to see what bait you want and it's taken to your boat. They also carry frozen bait.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I know a business that would work but it would be seasonal at best and require an expensive startup.
I actually toyed with the thought of doing this before I retired because the equipment was already bought and paid for.
Custom food plots for deer and turkey hunters.
The business is out there. I started talking to folks at different outdoor banquets, social media, etc., talking to lots of folks that don’t have the equipment to put in the food plots, willing to pay someone to do it for them but they didn’t know anyone to do it.
Compact tractor, tiller attachment, brush hog, seed spreader or one of the universal do it all planters out there but they are extremely expensive and not suitable for some soils.
That equipment plus a truck and trailer long enough to transport the equipment in one trip.
I would charge a flat rate per acre, not hourly, as with the right equipment, one can put in a lot of food plot in a few hours.
I started doing custom food plots this year. They turned out great, and everyone is super pleased. However, I still haven’t been paid. :mad:
The problem I see with doing food plots as a business is that everyone is pretty much going to want them at the same time, and I foresee some logistical problems to getting them all done.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I started doing custom food plots this year. They turned out great, and everyone is super pleased. However, I still haven’t been paid. :mad:
The problem I see with doing food plots as a business is that everyone is pretty much going to want them at the same time, and I foresee some logistical problems to getting them all done.
That is what I saw. Food plots have a pretty narrow window of when things need to be put in the ground so they are ready for hunting season. Some are not bow hunters so plots can be put in as late as early October while bow hunters will want theirs put in from the first of September to mid September.
Once a plot has been established, it's quick work to get another back in years afterward. Mowing, tilling and planting. All of which gets paid for.
If the landowner is in a drought, like we are, the seed can lay in the ground for a month before getting rain and starting the 10-14 day germination process which would make some really upset, but nobody can control Mother Nature.
Since you haven't been paid, It would have to be some some sort of arrangement that the place get worked but not planted before full payment with the owner present when seed was placed in the ground, check in hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts