Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the reason to get out of bed on a wet Saturday morning. I got out of the truck at 6:30 hussled to the blind in the rain. got in and situated just before the first storm rolled through. 5 minutes after the rain let up this guy came out. 40yd shot and he folded up 20 yds from my blind. Trying to get back to the trees he came from. On the ground at 7:20. I love short hunts. Better than the 8 and 10 hour sits I have had this year with nothing to show.
I count 9 points I can hang a ring on one not big enough to call a point and a split brow tine with the back point broken off.
Fun times trying to gut a deer on the ground while its 35 degrees, raining and sleeting every now and then.

Euro or full mount? that is the question.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That is one nice buck!!! I would go full mount.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Told ya to go in the rain! 8)
Now there are 2 of us that got their best buck in the rain 8)

I'd go with the full mount like the rest.
Congratulations on a great buck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis: I have a friend in Dallas that is telling me I will never kill another bigger. I just laughed. We have pics of bigger deer on our lease.

I kept you in mind when the alarm clock went off at 3:30 this morning. I debated for 20 minutes about not going. I finally decided I wasn't going to kill a mature buck in bed. I got dressed in my Redhead Cold Weather bibs and parka(highly suggest these two items. more on that later) and jumped in the truck. Luckily the roads weren't to bad but the fog was rediculous. I had probably 20-30 feet of visability going up 281. Real fun when going down gravel and then dirt roads. thank God for my GPS I could tell when I was coming up on a crossroad and my turn.

I was still debating on setting up under a tree instead of my blind. Glad I checked the radar before getting out of the truck. I had 10 minutes to get in my blind before a good storm rolled in. I had no sooner got situated than the wind and rain hit. about 10 minutes or so of heavy down pour and winds and it stopped. shortly after that I caught this guy out of the corner of my eye. I gave him a few minutes at the feeder. once he shifted I had a perfect quartering away shot. Fixed the crosshairs and dropped the safety. A quick squeeze of the trigger sent a 165 grain Barnes TSX through his body with fatal consequences. He made it 20 yds and folded up.

I have probably driven up to my lease 8 times so far this season. Might be more but I can't remember. until the last two times I have not seen a thing. last two times it was small 4 point and 6 point bucks. Nothing worth shooting.

Time to decide if I'm going to get back out with the bow before season ends.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I threw him on the scale at Terry's 150 dressed out.

We ahead and decided on the full mount. considering its my first mature buck I feel justified in spending the money. the meat should be ready later this week.

I have no hunting weekends scheduled the rest of the season. I might sneak out once more before bow season ends. I'd love to take a deer with my bow the first season I had it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrats on a dandy buck. 8)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Really like the hole in the horn and over all shape of that rack. Nice one for sure!

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Heck of a nice bucks. Congrats. I'd have a shoulder mount done in a full upright with a right turn pose done. The right turn will show off the hole in the antler better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to go with a straight on mount. I considered a right angle but went straight on head up.

Regardless its going to get looked at by anyone that comes over.

I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me hang it over the bed. She ain't budging on her decision.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
If you do that have your Taxidermist put a smile on the deer and in a downward looking pose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be to damn funny.

No I have a spot in the living room that he is going to hang from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts