Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Thermacell before last bow season, and never needed it. I put it to use today, the first I've ever used one, and I still battled biting black flies all day, mostly this afternoon. My face and neck are covered in painful and irritating welps. My opinion, they are junk! Save your money!!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Never used one for black fly's, but they do seem to work really well on Skeeters.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
That is all they are made for...Skeeters.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
The first time i used one was in Virginia and i used it because my kids were being carried away by the skeeters. Within minutes we had a wall of skeeters around us but not on us. I wished it worked for chiggers as they ate me alive that night. I have used it many times sense then both in the field and at home and have never had a problem. They are for skeeters, gnats and noseeums. They are useless against flies.
Sorry the flies ate you up but keep it and use it against skeeters and you will see they work.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked great on the mosquitoes, but I still need to use the DEET spray for the little black flies. Together with the DEET, I didn't get any mosquitoes buzzing around or bites from the black flies. The box advertises against the black flies though!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use mine all of the time.Sometimes I have to put it upwind to get the full effect.I don't have any problems with black
flies when using it.I even let them build up in mumbers then turn it on and they are gone.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mosquitoes leave, but I have the little flies actually sitting on the screen of it. Not exactly sure what is up with it, but I have decided to keep it and continue to use it with the DEET. Has anybody tried the "Fresh Earth" scent pads for the Thermacell during deer season? I thought about getting some of those when deer season rolls around again.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Thermacell worked great on the mosquitoes during the first of turkey season. We were being drained of a pint of blood an hour the first morning when my dad forgot it. We wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes out there that afternoon if we hadn't brought it. Never had to deter the blackflies with it though.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Richard, save your used pads. Then come deer season, put doe in heat on it and fire it up. Instant scent heater.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Good Idea!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that tip! I'll try that.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts