Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we killed 6 does on my property to try and get the numbers down ahead of the rut. Tonight I get this pic at one feeder. The other feeders have 1-3 at the same time and that’s only the does I can see. Did they get wet and multiply like gremlins or something? Sheesh.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Looks like my feeders.
We have an ODW DMAP program going on at the neighbors and our places.
Starting around 2012 or so we had a buck to doe ratio of 64 does to one buck.
The Game warden assisting in the nighttime spotlight surveys counted over 80 does on one quarter of alfalfa once.
We whittled them down to a 46-1 ratio last year, but haven’t got the results from this year’s survey.
Typically the ODW wants us to kill 40 does per year along with a couple mature bucks.
Yes, they breed like rabbits.
The ODW biologist said we need to focus on mature does to kill as they typically have twins vs first year does that have a single fawn.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like my feeders.
We have an ODW DMAP program going on at the neighbors and our places.
Starting around 2012 or so we had a buck to doe ratio of 64 does to one buck.
The Game warden assisting in the nighttime spotlight surveys counted over 80 does on one quarter of alfalfa once.
We whittled them down to a 46-1 ratio last year, but haven’t got the results from this year’s survey.
Typically the ODW wants us to kill 40 does per year along with a couple mature bucks.
Yes, they breed like rabbits.
The ODW biologist said we need to focus on mature does to kill as they typically have twins vs first year does that have a single fawn.
So y’all didn’t see deer numbers drop after the 2011-2013 drought?
When I started hunting up there in 2002, I would see 20-30 deer per sit, but after the drought, the numbers dropped to 5 or 6 per sit. They’re gradually coming back up, but with the coyote problem, it hasn’t been a fast process. I haven’t killed a doe since 2018 and am not seeing enough fawns to make me want to.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On spot I hunt at Lake Ellsworth I see at least 20 -25 does at one time. Once in awhile I may 1 or 2 bucks and that's about it. I know most would rather kill a buck but the does need to be thinned out to where doe to ratio is stable.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
So y’all didn’t see deer numbers drop after the 2011-2013 drought?
When I started hunting up there in 2002, I would see 20-30 deer per sit, but after the drought, the numbers dropped to 5 or 6 per sit. They’re gradually coming back up, but with the coyote problem, it hasn’t been a fast process. I haven’t killed a doe since 2018 and am not seeing enough fawns to make me want to.
We saw a drop in numbers but they quickly rebounded.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
You know the door numbers have got to be as high on publicly lands, but why the state won't allow does to be taken during gun season on most PHA/WMAs baffles me.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
You know the door numbers have got to be as high on publicly lands, but why the state won't allow does to be taken during gun season on most PHA/WMAs baffles me.
I don’t hunt public lands but I do know they have done some changes on doe shooting this season vs last.
It was addressing the overpopulation of does on the WMA’s.
I’ll have to look that up and see if what’s going on this year.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
The last 3 years we’ve had bad late winter storms that killed a lot of game off. So the Dept here this year just reduced most all buck/ bull tag quotas for antelope, mule deer & elk here Slashed many of the non resident tags as well. Implemented point restrictions for deer and elk in many zones. Not once did they consider stopping the fawn/ calf tag harvest or the doe/ cow tags to help population growth.
They are damn sissies trying to fight the anti’s on the wolf and grizzle bear hunting as well. They both had destroyed the Yellowstone herds.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
I don’t hunt public lands but I do know they have done some changes on doe shooting this season vs last.
It was addressing the overpopulation of does on the WMA’s.
I’ll have to look that up and see if what’s going on this year.
Ok, looked it up and doe are legal during regular gun season.

Deer Gun
  • Nov. 20 - Dec. 5
  • Four: no more than one may be antlered. Harvest of antlerless mule deer is prohibited. Antlerless harvest limits are set by zone. Zone 1: one antlerless. Zones 2, 7 & 8: four antlerless. Zones 3, 4, 5, 6 & 9: two antlerless. Zone 10: one antlerless. See Antlerless Deer Zones for Antlerless Deer Zones map. All deer taken during the deer gun season count toward the hunter’s combined season limit of six deer.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
597 Posts
Dang...I guess our brethren off our southern border really cleaned us out on antlerless deer last year.

Being a "Zone 10" guy, I do remember looking at the harvest report halfway through gun season last year and noticed that 1,000 more does had been taken in 2020 already just in Pushmataha County. To be fair though, not many were taken in 2019.

I figured it would put a hurting on our numbers.

Heck, maybe thats why I'm seeing far fewer deer...and I can't put ALL the blame on the feral dog packs (even though 2/3 of their photos are of them chasing deer).

I'm pretty sure we're shut down for holiday antlerless this season too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First look was at the feeders and I already have 2 very hungry does at the left feeder. I had to refill that feeder because they sucked the food up so fast. I bought a 4-wheeler today so I can get around better to clean up deer. The plan is to keep the herd manageable so they don’t wander too far away and get in trouble or eat too much poison.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Roger, first off welcome pal. Second I don’t understand your post. Deer move around as most animals do, and if you are in an area with copious amounts of poison strung about you probably should not be there yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts