Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I've been down with the crude the last few days, I've been cleaning my guns and got to thinking. I know that is usually a dangerous thing, espically on cold meds. If I sold my .270 Ruger and the 30-30 lever and the Remy 22-250 and bought an AR in say .308 or one of the 6mm's then got a dedicated .22 upper for the Bushy that I already have. That should cover just about everything I'd ever hunt. Then only have 2 calibers to reload for (.223 and .308) a .22 for plinking and have a shot gun and ML and I'd be set.
Can't get rid of my 10/22 as my daughter gave that to me for Christmas and the old Ruger .270 has been around forever and got my first several deer with it and dang I sure like my thurty-thurty lever as of late and man I've had fun making one hole 5shot groups with the Remy 22-250, dang if I just can't ever sell a gun and not regret the heck out of it. What's a feller to do?????? ???

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I hear ya man. I have never sold a gun yet. But I have been know to take several from those selling. They grow on ya and the memories are nice too.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Never sold one either. Just sounds like you need to re-up and use the bonus money to get those AR's ;D

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've sold a few in my life but in nearly every case I would later wish I hadn't sold it. I've probably given more away then I've sold and some how this don't seem so bad..Of course I've been pretty selective on who I gave them too... ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I've sold a few in my life but in nearly every case I would later wish I hadn't sold it. I've probably given more away then I've sold and some how this don't seem so bad..Of course I've been pretty selective on who I gave them too... ;D
I do foster care ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I had no choose in the matter when,I had to sell off over 20 rifles, 4 shotguns & 6 handguns.
Almost 10 years ago when we moved to Oklahoma.
Had $5000.00 on us.
That don't last long at all.
The guns kept a roof over our heads & food in the ice box.

Just glad,I left behind a Browning- SxS 20 Gauge Grade III & my Dakota 25-06 Rem with mom & pops.

Guns are a great investment- if ya ever do need to sell 1 or all to stay alive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do foster care ;)

I'll remember that ole Buddy...you never know...Now remember, I haven't given away a gun worth anything...just a double barrel 12, a couple of Thompson Center Renegades...a remington 22, a Winchester pre 64 22-250 varminter...and an ole model 12 shotgun..but, I'll sure remember you will be a foster parent if I need one... ;D Oh...I forgot..a stainless 22 mag. pistol...and a government model Ruger target pistol..

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
The model 12 ROCKS!
This is after the restoration. ;D

Thanks buddy for the opportunity to bring a relic back to life and make it a shooter. I'll do my best to make a turkey fall to its full choke this coming spring ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Now thats peeerrrddddyyyy

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dennis, this is exactly the reason I chose you to adopt this gun...I also knew that I would never do anything with it and it would still be setting in the man room with its hay bailer belting recoil pad..BUT...actually...the recoil pad was a classic in its own right....I mean...how many other guns do you own that have old drive belts from farm machinery on the stock for a recoil pad?...See...just what I thought... ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I got a signle shot Rossi 12g that would dislocate a shoulder with #9 shot (actually did dislocate my shoulder with a single slug shot). I melted down some lead and put in the stock and took and old flip flop shoe bottom and cut it for a pad. Still didn't help any. Limb saver recoil pad did the trick. Took 2 deer with it last year and it feels like a .22 now.

For those that saw my O/U from the duck hunt I did the stock and forend myself. shaved some of the stock comb off and stripped the stain off and re stained it. Not too bad for a first attempt.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bull...that's probably the best idea I've heard in a while...A flip flop for a recoil pad...I'm actually surprised it didn't work really well...when I was growing up in Southern Oklahoma about 50 years ago we used what ever we could find to fix something...I bet money if we would have had flip flops back then ( which we didn't ) they wouldn't have been throwed away just cause they broke..they would have been used for something..

About shaving some off the comb...I'm betting when you got done with it, it fit you better and you had a better sight picture when you shouldered it..a lot of the guns don't have enough drop on the comb for a good fit...Don't know about now but several years ago the standard to go by was 2-3/4 inches drop from the barrel to the end of the stock..a lot of the guns only had 2-1/4 to 2-1/2...not enough for most people...Thanks again for the flip flop idea...When my crocks wear out, I know what I can do with them...if they ever wear out... ;D

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
My grandpa and dad used to save the leather shoe tongues. All of the old coleman lanterns we fished with had leather cups, and when they wore out, new ones were made from the shoe tongues. all of my lanterns are propane now, so I don't know what they use. ???

·
Registered
541 Posts
Your right Dennis...we never throwed away a pair of leather boots..the tongue was used in anything from a slingshot to a pad to go between a shoe and a horse's hoof..I still have lots of old memories...probably needs to be another topic..but...one was my Dad rendering out possum fat to put on his work boots to water proof them...Have no idea if it worked but he did it for years..Not ****..just possum fat.. ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Bull...that's probably the best idea I've heard in a while...A flip flop for a recoil pad...I'm actually surprised it didn't work really well...when I was growing up in Southern Oklahoma about 50 years ago we used what ever we could find to fix something...I bet money if we would have had flip flops back then ( which we didn't ) they wouldn't have been throwed away just cause they broke..they would have been used for something..

About shaving some off the comb...I'm betting when you got done with it, it fit you better and you had a better sight picture when you shouldered it..a lot of the guns don't have enough drop on the comb for a good fit...Don't know about now but several years ago the standard to go by was 2-3/4 inches drop from the barrel to the end of the stock..a lot of the guns only had 2-1/4 to 2-1/2...not enough for most people...Thanks again for the flip flop idea...When my crocks wear out, I know what I can do with them...if they ever wear out... ;D

I have a good idea every now and then. come to think of it its been awhile sense I had my last one.

The biggest problem I had before I shaved the stock was the recoil would kick me in the cheek and I'd get a big cherry and a knot. I was shooting 400-500 rounds a week at the trap and skeet range and it wasn't fun. But now I have no problem at all with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts