Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as y'all know my active duty military career comes to an end in a month. Going to join the reserves so I can get the retirement check. But I have been thing long and hard about what I want to do next. For the time being I'm going to get a federal job on base and go back to school. I am really thinking on enrolling into a taxidermy school and learning the art. My wife is all for it. I know they have a few in the state and I plan to check them out.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
There is decent money to make in taxidermy. Okla also has a great gunsmith school. I believe its Rose state college. If your inclined to go that way, the classes are known around the country to be good.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered that as well. Always been torn between the two. Maybe I can combine the two into something like Gundermy learn to stuff guns.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The best gunsmith school is here, www.nragunsmithing.com/murray.html

They have some great summer courses on AR's and 1911's. You build the gun from scratch for the class.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for getting that correct:D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
That's the best part, yes you do get to keep 'em. Honcho went to one of the AR classes and got a ton of free goodies from Brownells. They have regular semester full time courses that get into the machine work, stock building, the whole 9 yards of gunsmithing.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Bull, You might check with Hillmans Taxidermy in Yukon. Last time I was in there he was really having problems keeping help and needing an apprentice. Hes looking to retire soon and would love to see someone keep the show going. I would have done it myselft if it wasnt for my job. I would have done it for free just to learn how to mount animals.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was gonna take a trip around the area next week the the different shops and talk to them face to face.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I went to Murray State College, in the Conservation and Wildlife Management program, but some of my friends were in gunsmithing. The first gun they built as a freshman class was a rifle. Sophomores built a 1911, with parts from Kimber. The guns you build are name brand, but you get to make all the mods you want (within reason), including caliber, porting, fluting, etc. I believe they even teach you how to etch and some basic woodcarving for custom stock work. Good program! Looking back on it, I wonder if I could've double-majored!?!

I guess I could always go back! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hope it all works out for you. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts