Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
No Deer were harmed during this hunt.

Had a great time and I am exhausted. I have to get ready to go MN via IL Sunday.

Probably won't have time to writ anything up until I get to MN.
You work for peta or is this the new measure we take after a past hurt feeling? Heck my feelings are hurt over rifle season anything short of a stick and string is poaching Archer22 and I have decided!

non paid spokesPERSON and Archer22 was not actually involved in or aware of the typing of this comment. no sticks were harmed during the posting of this message. know to the state of comifornkia to cause hurt feelings and sand in your clam

·
Registered
479 Posts
You work for peta or is this the new measure we take after a past hurt feeling? Heck my feelings are hurt over rifle season anything short of a stick and string is poaching Archer22 and I have decided!

non paid spokesPERSON and Archer22 was not actually involved in or aware of the typing of this comment. no sticks were harmed during the posting of this message. know to the state of comifornkia to cause hurt feelings and sand in your clam
Are you drinking and posting like AlongCameJones?!? :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay here goes. It was warm and nothing was moving. Saw does working the feeder, and two Bucks. One little bitty forked horn. One 8 point that I passed on the first day, that I would have shot last light the fourth day. I spent 12 hours in the blind the first two days, 9 hours the second two. Saw a few coyotes including one that came with in 25 yards of me looked at me in the blind, paid no attention and sniffed around the feeder and left after about 10 minutes, undisturbed. Also saw one armadillo in the middle of the afternoon. The fourth day I had two does chase each other all over the place for about an hour. Watched those two close. Couldn't tell if one or both were in estrous. They acted like it. Had my camera for the boxing match, but it never happened.

7 hunters in camp. 2 brothers, from NY, but one lives in FL. 4 from Mississippi.

The Mississippi boys killed two small bucks and wounded one. All their deer were gut shot. They said these deer were bigger than anything they had ever seen back home. Outfitter pointed out these were small deer and they had been asked not shoot small deer.

Then there was this. This just makes you me shake my head

Friday night before the hunt the Outfitter gave us all a safety briefing. One of the things he says , is do not get out of your blind. He gives long laundry list of why; snakes, spook deer, you might wander away and get lost, you don’t know where the property lines are etc. Actually, sound advice when you really don’t know the people you have hunting.

The outfitters and guides monitor cameras in the area and check on people from a distance to see if they are alright or let you know about deer in your area.

First day Saturday morning the Guides and outfitter are out checking and saw a big deer in the ravine behind the hunter from Florida, who is a transplanted New Yorker with many deer hunting trips in the past, he says . The Guides and outfitters are pretty excited about this big deer as they have been seeing this deer all season on camera and know it is truly big.

The Outfitter texted the FL/NY guy in the blind and tells him to climb down and look in the ravine behind him. The Outfitter tells him there is a big buck back there. The guy texted back, he can’t get out of the blind, as he was told never get out of the blind. The outfitter tells him it’s okay and get down and get the deer.

Florida gets down and walks over to the ravine and looks and says he doesn’t see any deer. The Outfitter tells him to use his binoculars and look about 70 yards down and to his left. The guy says he can’t because his binoculars are still in the blind. The guide says then go ahead and look for them with your rifle scope. The guy says his rifle is still in the blind also.

They tell the guy to back up slowly and get his rifle and come back. He does and by time he gets back the deer have wandered away.

Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Land lot

That deer is still out there. Bottom arrow the buck and the top arrow the hunter.

All in all I had a great time, enjoyed myself immensely and made a reservation for next year for opening weekend,

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have no problem “guiding” friends and family, but I don’t think I could do it for the general public. There’s just too many dumb*sses in the world, and I’m positive I would get saddled with one on every hunt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yeah I don’t think I could do it for just anyone and after asking that you not take small deer and they still did I think I would have to ask them not to waste my anytime minutes calling for a hunt next year.
Mind sharing where you were or there about

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
I’ve guided some friends and some from the general population that are new to hunting on youth hunts. Those kids listen and learn pretty quickly.
I did have to quietly and privately remind one parent that it was my hunt and my rules and he obliged.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
How did that story go? Leave names out if you like
Youth hunt weekend. Dad had zero gun experience, buying a Savage .243 just for the hunt keeping it in a soft case and carried to the blind.
Once in the blind, I asked the kid that was 12 to remove the rifle from the case, load the magazine and leave the chamber open and empty until deer appeared.
Dad was almost in a panic telling the kid to keep it in the case unloaded.
I didn't say anything at that time, but the kid finally had to pee so I told him to climb down, and take care of his business. While he was out, that is when I told his dad that when the kid got back in, he was going to uncase the rifle, load the magazine and stand it in the corner of the blind until I told him to pick it up, load a round and stick it out the window or the hunt was over at this time and we could all leave.
When the kid got back in the blind, and was asked once again to uncase the rifle, his head snapped to look at his dad who just shook his head yes. 30 minutes later he had a doe on the ground with a hero pic taken.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
In 1992 I came home from college and my brother and I leased out some hunts for 3 years. Turned out to be the biggest cluster ever. In the contract we had age and size restrictions and even had an incentive or a penalty system in place. If you shot a buck over 150 you got 1/4 of your money back, if your shot one under130 you paid 1/4 more. Deer that fell into the 130-150 gap cost the original price. There were some deer that were exempt from the system also. There was an old 6 pt that was about 14-16 wides with bases and beams as big as you wrists and the odd ball other deer, spike on one side with a fully developed rack on the other side that could be taken with no penalty. The hunters also understood and accepted the fact that my brother and I would also be hunting the ranch. We let them pick where they wanted to hunt and respected their decisions but always gave suggestions as where or how to hunt a spot which flew right in one ear and out the other. Had some guys that really got hacked after sitting 30 feet up in tree freezing their butts off on all day sits when they would see some of the bucks my brother and I took out on the prairie in the tall grass. Took 5 hunters each year and every year we had at least 2 that had to pay more and the last year 4 of the 5 shot bucks under 130. We even measured with no deductions. We quit leasing hunts when the families started growing as did their hunting interest and after we caught one of the previous years hunters bowhunting. He was from Pryor and had the balls to have a guy drop him off with supplies for a few days and a sleeping bag. That didn’t end up to well for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
In 1992 I came home from college and my brother and I leased out some hunts for 3 years. Turned out to be the biggest cluster ever. In the contract we had age and size restrictions and even had an incentive or a penalty system in place. If you shot a buck over 150 you got 1/4 of your money back, if your shot one under130 you paid 1/4 more. Deer that fell into the 130-150 gap cost the original price. There were some deer that were exempt from the system also. There was an old 6 pt that was about 14-16 wides with bases and beams as big as you wrists and the odd ball other deer, spike on one side with a fully developed rack on the other side that could be taken with no penalty. The hunters also understood and accepted the fact that my brother and I would also be hunting the ranch. We let them pick where they wanted to hunt and respected their decisions but always gave suggestions as where or how to hunt a spot which flew right in one ear and out the other. Had some guys that really got hacked after sitting 30 feet up in tree freezing their butts off on all day sits when they would see some of the bucks my brother and I took out on the prairie in the tall grass. Took 5 hunters each year and every year we had at least 2 that had to pay more and the last year 4 of the 5 shot bucks under 130. We even measured with no deductions. We quit leasing hunts when the families started growing as did their hunting interest and after we caught one of the previous years hunters bowhunting. He was from Pryor and had the balls to have a guy drop him off with supplies for a few days and a sleeping bag. That didn’t end up to well for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is it ended up happening or is that something we don’t talk about?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’ve thought about selling a hunt or two a year to offset my expenses, but with my luck, it would be a cluster similar to yours.
Since I really only hunt up until the first week of rifle season, there’s still alot of season left, but I just don’t think the money would be worth the hassle for me. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve thought about selling a hunt or two a year to offset my expenses, but with my luck, it would be a cluster similar to yours.
Since I really only hunt up until the first week of rifle season, there’s still alot of season left, but I just don’t think the money would be worth the hassle for me. 🤷‍♂️
I might be interested in a one man lease for access.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts