Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a young deer and turkey hunter who is looking to kill some coyotes this year. I don't really have anyone to help me out so any advice would be great. I will be using my compound or a 12 guage. I can't afford to get a rifle yet. I'm trying to find some private land to hunt on but currently can only hunt public land. Just a few questions....
1. Does the Lexington Game Reserve even allow yote hunting?
2. Is baiting legal?
3. Electric call or mouth call?
4. What to use in my 12 gauge?
5. Decoys?
6. What do ya'll do with your pelts, and are yotes good for anything other than that?
7. Is the hunting good all year or is there times when it's not even worth going?
If I think of any more I will post. Any tips, suggestions, or even if you just know someone who needs help with a coyote problem would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's a little too close to turkey season for me to be calling and blasting coyotes at my place, but after turkey season, come on out!

1. Not sure, but I would call the head office at Lexington.

2. Unless you plan to bait with carcasses, I'm not sure how you would bait for coyotes, but it is legal. Watch near cattle during calving season.

3. Your choice. Mouth calls are cheaper, but electronic calls can project the sound farther. And the wireless models (Fox Pro) means your calling won't give your position away. I can't wait to get one myself.

4. Use large pellets, 00 or 000 work great in tight chokes, whatever your gun can handle with a decent pattern. Some ammo manufacturers make predator specific ammo (Hevi-Shot), but its expensive. I'm opportunistic and shoot them mostly when I'm deer hunting (.30-06 or .50 cal BP).

5. Decoys help take the attention off you giving you more forgiveness in movement, and helping to draw them in closer.

6. I have a recipe for coyote, but I haven't been desperate enough to try it. The pelts aren't worth enough for me to go through the trouble. But I guess if you're diligent and shoot enough, they would more than pay for your ammo and fuel. I just let them lie, controlling predators, not making money.

7. The hunting can be good all year, depending where you are. If you have plenty of food year-round, they will be more unpredictable. Summer heat tends to make them more nocturnal. Hard winters make for desperate coyotes.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
First of all, let me welcome you to the forum! ;D
I"m kind of a newb at coyote hunting myself. Not having much sucess so far, but gettting out there is what its all about.
As far as your shotgun, Its very effective but for right now you are restricted to no larger than BB.
There is a change coming about, and I don't know if it has been implemented yet, but it will allow 00 buck to be used on hogs, not coyotes.
Here is a quote on the shot size regulation:

Shotgun Pellet Size

No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. diameter.)

Happy hunting and let us know how you do ;D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oops! I don't familiarize myself with the shotgun regulations since I always use rifle. My Bad! ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the tips guys. And thanks for bein so friendly. I'll probably wait tell after turkey season. I might have to take you up on that offer. Lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
i also have tryed to do some predator hunting with little/no success. i have a mouth call, great ground to hunt and my 22 hornet i hand load for...only time i ever got a shot at a 'yote or cat was while deer hunting. i also lookin for tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts