Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today if the first day of my terminal leave. If I go back to work its for personal reasons and in civilian clothes. I went to shave last night and realised for a change I didn't have too. I naturally woke up but went back to sleep with a smile on my face. I've already mowed the lawn and did some work in the garage cleaning it up. It's starting to get warm so I came back in. Wife and kids at school and the house is quiet. Not sure what to do with the rest of my day. An afternoon nap sounds really nice as well. I could actually get used to this sorta life if I knew it wouldn't drive me crazy. But I know I have allot of work to do around here and still get a job lined up and enrolled in school and such. I'm sure time will fly by for me.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Ha! that sounds like my first day out of the Army. Did the same thing, got up and realized I didn't have to shave. Grew a full beard that I had until 10 years ago, when my new job required a clean shave.
My wife had never seen me without a beard. She said it took her awhile to get used to it ;D

Good luck on your future endevors. I hope the best for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You will get use to it...Trust me, No more waking up @ o dark thirty unless it's to go Hunting or Fishing.
Time will go fast..shoot I've had my new job for 6 mo now.Where did the time go?
All the best to you buddy on getting on with a new life.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Enjoy the heck out it, and good luck on finding a new career. If I can help ya out any, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to get into the reserves to continue the time for retirement first and formost but I'm really looking into a gunsmithing or taxidermy school. I found two taxidermy schools in TX that are 6 weeks that require a total of 8 mounts. Gotta get with the VA to see how much they will pay for.
I'm really shocked there isn't any taxidermy schools in OK.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When my time comes I really don't know how to act. After doing the same something for 22 years I realized that I will be like a fish out of the water. I know that I will be able to send more time with my wife, daughter and grandson. I just hope I can find a job.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that as of Friday the Air Force is on a hiring freeze. Not sure about the other companies on base. It's hard times when even the military and DoD won't take you.
baby you will have your retirement and any disability checks coming in till you decide what you want to do. I had always planned to park my rear in a treestand after I retired for awhile. Guess that won't be happening anytime soon.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
You guys that are getting ready to ETS, have the same questions that I had after 5 1/2 yrs of active duty. I had misgivings that the skills I had would not be accepted in the civilian world.
Fact is, I've made my living from the military training to this day.

I was trained as a Microwave operations and maintenance tech, but getting to my first duty station, in SE Asia, they were desperate for platoon radio operators, so that is where I ended up. Leaving there, got on a joint services team to install satelite systems all over the areas the US military was involved in. Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Guam, Thailand, and Australia

Getting back to the states, got an assignment as a fixed station technical controller at Ft Leavenworth Ks, and ETS'd from there.

Even though the training was in communications, it overlapped with job requirments in the industrial maintence field.

When it comes to pay structure in the blue collar area, maintenance work draws top pay. Check with any large industrial plant for openings, and be creative when looking at the job requirments, and stating your skills. I'm not saying to lie, but spin their requirments into your experience.
Good luck to you guys. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll look into it dennis.

Rattler no thanks needed. The thanks goes to all those that never made it home!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Hey Bull, I don't know if AIRINC is hiring but I'd stop by and see if they might need a hand in the near future. Looks like they are doing heavy mx on 135's there now and they have a lot more folks working there than they had 6 months ago plus another hangar. Plus there is a new FBO just south of them on Portland.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I'm told they are doing some hiring. Its the Boeing folks that have my attention right now.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Yep, that'd be the job for sure. Espically with the new X Tanker coming.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I do know that Boing is hiring in WA if your willing to relocate. My company here In Oregon is Too. Give me a PM if your interested. I remember when I got out it took me some time to find my Job I have right now but having the military on my resume definately helped. It is alot like a college degree. All most companies are lookng for is some sort of proof that you started and finished something. Sounds like you two stayed with it for a long time. That is a plus. Don't let college degree requirements deter you if you see a job that interests you apply any way. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an interview today on base with our Boeing Tech Rep and one of the HR guys at the 9001 engine shop. My Rep is 5 for 5 on getting guys like me hired and I have twice the experience any of them had not only in the Navy but aircraft maintenance as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bull, check the local vo-tech for taxidermy classes. I got a flyer in the mail recently that listed taxidermy as a class, dont remember cost or class length though.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you still have they flyer by chance? If so can you PM me some of the info off it.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll look into it thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I met with the Air Force Reserve Recruiter yesterday and I'm good to go. Waiting on my new unit to give the code I need and then its raise the right hand and swear in. I'm happy about this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts