Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Whitetail Freaks lastnight and this guy made a perfect broadside shot on this big 10pt. The buck ran off 20 yards or so and was standing there looking around and acting like he didn't just take a complete pass thru to the boiler room. He started walking off like nothing had happened. I was like WTF and X-Buck that heals itself. The guy knocked another arrow and made another perfect kill shot at 30 yards. It ran a little further and then went down. Has anyone had this happen? I know I have. The biggest deer I've ever arrowed to date and never found did the same thing. I had him perfectly broadside at 20 yards and couldn't have made a better shot if I would have run up and jabbed the arrow into him by hand. Me and my buddy looked for half the day until the blood trail completely quit. It still makes me ill when I think about losing such a magnificent animal.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I made a great shot on one as well, several years ago, only to have it dissapear into the woods. I waited the 30 minutes, and went tracking. Great blood trail, but it kind of petered out when he jumped the fence on the neighbor. Went to the neighbor and got permission to cross the fence. Looked, hard for an hour, and finally jumped it laying behind a log. He ran like he wasn't hurt, and left no blood. Followed the trail where he had kicked up leaves, but finally lost it.
The neighbors nephew came down. Young guy in his 20's hair to his waist, piercings everywhere, you get the picture.
That guy had eyes like a hawk! He kept walking in circles, spotting tiny drops of blood, single hairs, etc.
Almost a mile from where I made the original shot, we found him piled up in some bushes.
Field dressing him, the arrow had just knicked the top of the lungs. He bled out, but it took awhile. If I hadn't bumped him, and waited an hour instead of 30 minutes, he may have expired right there.
If it hadn't been for my hippy tracker, It would have gone down in the books as a lost deer. ;D

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
My step son lost a fine buck on a youth hunt at James Collins, .270 right where it ought to be, waited 30 mins, massive blood trail to where it beded down and 8lbs of blood and no deer, no tracks trail thru shoulder high grass blood nothing. Looked 7 hrs for that deer and finally figgured that aliens came down and got him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The only deer I ever lost with a rifle was a doe I shot broadside at 30 yards with my .30-06. I knocked her down, she got up and ran off. I figured that she was done, so I got up and went to where she was standing. It literally looked like someone dumped a gallon of red paint on the leaves, about 10 feet away was another good spot of blood, then nothing. Looked for a couple hours, nothing. Called two buddies and we looked for another couple hours and never found a speck of blood. Crazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts