Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a tower blind on my lease this year. I've looked at quite a few places that sell tower blinds. The features range from sparse to this isn't hunting.

I've also looked at various plans for a self built tower blind. Ideally I'd love to find a prebuilt tower assembly and build a box blind on it.

What has everyone done in the past. If you built a tower blind yourself and have pics and what you ended up spending I'd appreciate it.

If nothing else the ground blind will get drug out again this year.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
A google search for me yielded a tun of how to build a tower box blind blue prints and videos. Might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is a blind I built a few years ago. The frame is made out of light 1 inch angle and the siding is some that was left over from building my house. The size is always a concern for most people. I decided I wanted mine just 4 x 4 feet and have never wished for anything bigger. I have an office chair inside and so I can easily shoot in any direction. I feel the best thing I done during the construction was after framing out the box, I just set it up on the ground and placed my chair inside it. I c-clamped the bottom piece of one of the windows in place and checked out how comfortable I could hold my deer rifle out the window for a shot. I kept adjusting the height up and down until I found the perfect height for me. Another little note is the way I hold my windows open. I used really good nylon cord and kept everything on the outside of the box so as not to hinder a shot. Put a little piece of scrap carpet in the floor, installed the little propane heater with a top to toast a sandwich or make coffee and it was all ready for several hard, cold days of deer hunting..Hope this helps..Sasakwa

·
Registered
541 Posts
About the price..The angle iron for the frame was around 30 dollars but that was 2005 prices. The siding was scrap but if you bought it you would need 4 sheets. The floor and top are just 3/4 inch plywood but the top is sealed with flat metal to prevent leaks. Most expensive thing I bought was a gallon of paint..I think it was around 40 dollars..the stand was just some old 1-1/2 inch pipe I had had for a few years..As far as a stand to put a pre-built box on. I would check into buying an old overhead fuel tank from some farmer. Most of these are not used and the stand that the tank set on makes a very nice stand to set a box..Just about all you need is the ladder..Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics and info.

I'd love to use the surplus material we have at work but something tells me it would be over kill. 2x4 thick wall tubing, 1/4" thick angle iron. All red iron from hotel projects. Then there is the decision of which granite counter tops and window sills to use.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yea DanB that would be an over kill but if you have access to heavy angle and square tubing then I'm betting you could make a trade with someone. I remember when I bought my angle it cost 13 cents a foot. It's very light but the way it is braced it came out just fine. The only beefing up I done was in the
corners of the window openings. I welded some short pieces of 1/4" x 2 " flat bar in each corner to keep it from flexing...

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I built a deer blind just like that with out the box & fram work of a cage around the top for around $300.00 to include all metal,welding rods & paint.
It was 8 foot to the top base.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have the material take off for the framework done. Just need to decide on what materials for the walls and roof. As well as windows. flip up or down, sider, solid or see through. to many options for now.

Just need to call Monday for material price to see. Then a few evenings at work working on it. Plenty of room compared to my driveway. That and acres of concrete around without fear of a grassfire.

Although I have access to a trailer to move this in two sections. base and box. I'm tempted to build the base to be broken down and bolted back together in the field. Good idea or bad idea?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Well, I'm at DFW airport right now so can't post a pic of my stand yet. I have two I've built and been around some folks that went cheap. Pay once, cry once. Two friends are so happy they saved a dime putting cheap interior paneling as outside walls, thinking paint would preserve the wood. Two tears later they came apart and had to be rebuilt. They used the same materials, and they are falling apart again.
I used the exterior grade T1-11 paneling that is used on home exteriors. It's expensive, but 8 years later it's still standing in great shape.
My first used storm windows that I turned on it's side so it would open on either side. The box is 4X6X 6' high. It's practically air tight, which presents a problem.
In sub-freezing temps, with the windows shut, condensation from the heater and breathing condenses on the windows, and freezes the window tracks.
Second blind, went to the glass shop, had them cut some 12X12" safety glass, and put wood tracks on the windows to slide in it let's enough moisture out to keep down condensation, yet blocks a majority of the wind. Very quiet to open the windows, vs the storm windows in the other

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the all clear to scrap some of the the red iron to gather the materials I need for the blind. One great way to start a week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts