Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 yr old lab and was wondering if I could still train her to retrieve? I haven't had the time to work with her since I got her 3 yrs ago because of the Army thing. I miss having a dog when I go hunting. My last lab was one of the be hunting companions I have ever had. Plus I will not lose has many birds.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Its not easy training a 3 yr old dog, but not impossible.
I googled "how to train a 3 yr old lab to hunt, and got lots of hits.
I'll bet your going to become real familiar with a training collar. I have them for my dogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out "Smart work" and "Smart Fetch" by Evan Graham. Three years old is far from a lost cause, especially with a lab. Take it easy with the gun intro and go from there.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my Lab I want to train. Her name is Baby and has you guessed it that's how I came up with my name for here.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Nice looking pup. I gotta ask what's with the green chair?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have three labs. Two are hunting dogs, both female and my male chocolate is lets just say too wired. I got him at a year old. He had zero obedience but would fetch until you couldn't throw the bumper anymore. He's gotten alot better but I can't break his barking when he gets excited. Tried my training collar but it is only a short term fix as he starts up again. I took all three labs for a little training last weekend and when I pulled up too the pond there were ducks so I jump shot a ring neck and he beat the other two to it. He loves to retrieve but doesn't like to heel or stop the excited barking. He needs lots more time just one on one. Good luck with your training and start as soon as you can.

Sorry I just noticed this was an old post....

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I have three labs. Two are hunting dogs, both female and my male chocolate is lets just say too wired. I got him at a year old. He had zero obedience but would fetch until you couldn't throw the bumper anymore. He's gotten alot better but I can't break his barking when he gets excited. Tried my training collar but it is only a short term fix as he starts up again. I took all three labs for a little training last weekend and when I pulled up too the pond there were ducks so I jump shot a ring neck and he beat the other two to it. He loves to retrieve but doesn't like to heel or stop the excited barking. He needs lots more time just one on one. Good luck with your training and start as soon as you can.

Sorry I just noticed this was an old post....
Not a problem! We love hunting stories, dog stories, and whatever stories you want to tell. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
We love eye candy pics to go along with said stories even more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts