Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hired a guide on Flathead Lake in Montana for Mackinaw.
Big cabin style boat which was good as the wind was up and the waves were 5-6’. Lake is 28 miles long, 370’ deep in the center, running North and South. All the seats were air ride to cushion the blows to the spine from running in that rough water.
My first time to witness a big time trolling operation that was truly a work of art keeping the lines from getting tangled.
We had 8 rods out, 4 on down riggers running from 350’, 300’, 250’ and 200’, and 4 on planing boards running 30-60’ depending on what lure was used.
Not a good day for fishing. We managed 2 Mackinaw, one I caught that was 12 lbs and one other that a buddy caught at 4 lbs.
Another buddy had on two and lost both.
Probably my last trip trolling like this. I prefer to catch the fish personally using skills vs dragging baits with a bait.
I’m not against trolling to locate, then move back to the fish to jig them for a bite.
Good day with good friends was the icing on the cake.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Good time for sure. Nice fish as well.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay now go to Fort Peck and hire Jason Mundel. Northern pike are awesome fighters, He catches some awesome walleye at the right time of the year and some big lakers.
Friend and myself are doing a walleye trip with a guide Friday out of Great Falls. We have moved to the Great Falls area for a week.
I’ll look him up next trip.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Friend and myself are doing a walleye trip with a guide Friday out of Great Falls. We have moved to the Great Falls area for a week.
Have fun and safe travels.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
You going to fish the river any? Some great fly fishing available.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My dad made good friends with a guide years ago. They fished Roosevelt Lake (Eastern WA) together a lot for lake trout, even doing a few tournaments.

Dad used downrigger setups like that. He was very strict about trolling depth and what lines and baits to use.

The bright side was that a fishing trip with dad usually resulted in launching at about 7AM and returning to the ramp limited out by about 9AM. Most trout were in the 2-5lb range, but occasionally we'd hook into a big one.

Glad you are having fun up there.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You going to fish the river any? Some great fly fishing available.
Heading to canyon lake in the morning for a walleye trip with a guide. He said a 10 fish is not hard to get. 18” has to be returned to the lake. Smaller for the frying pan.
I’m good with that. Walleye is my favorite fish to eat with crappie second.
I catch walleye on Kaw lake. Not often, but when I do, it goes into a separate bag.
When the big party/fish fry happens, they get the crappie,with the last load in the fryer being walleye for my bonus of catching and cooking.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dennis, you didn't happen to see a penguin while traveling did you.

View attachment 6765

That's where I use to live.
That’s on the East side of Glacier? Unfortunately we didn’t make it there. Park Service had roads shut down to overcrowding.
Road to the Sun in Glacier NP was amazing!

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts