Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve done it before, and I’ve had a heck of a time doing it, but I’m not near as successful as I want to be! Not looking for any honey holes, but could someone possibly point me in the direction of what bait to use? Typically I use Chartreuse or Red power bait ( the premade balls). Anyone else have any other hot bait they wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m also hoping to catch one on a fly, looking for some recommendations there too lol. Mostly fishing Mountain Creek ( the one in the Wichita MTNS) and the Blue River!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
If I’m bait fishing for trout I always put a 1/4 oz slip sinker on the line then a swivel. I tie my own leader with 2 # mono about 10” long so the power balls can float up off the bottom. Always use two power balls so it floats well. The purpose of the slip sinker is so when you get a bite the fish doesn’t feel the sinker. I usually put some slack in the line after the bite so the trout gets a little run before setting the hook.
I’m pretty much exclusively fly fishing these days, mostly in Colorado or Missouri.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dennis has it right for use of powerbait. I always preferred the full jar instead of premade balls and just formed around the hook in more of a teardrop fashion. Don't think there's any difference just always 'rolled my own'! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Like Dennis, I use a barrel sinker above a swivel and about 10-12” of leader. The red Potzky (sp) salmon eggs work very well. A small hook with 2-3 on it and tossed along the current and slack water or even under a bobber drifted. Used to limit out at the Blue River nearly ever time. I use this method here for summertime trout fishing. Power bait and a 1-2” chunk of night crawler is just as effective. Spinners are also very effective in the blue. Where have you been fishing the Blue at?
Also try the Medicine Park River for trout. Can also catch some nice cats and big carp if you really wanna have some fighting fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually try down by the falls where you can drive across the creek at the blue. Medicine Park is where I usually fish though! I mostly just trout fish to past the time between deer season and the spawn lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts