Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may seem like a dumb question, but how exactly do you age a turkey? I mean, what are the physical differences between a 2-year-old turkey and 3-year-old or older turkey. 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs seems rather dandy to me. My turkey 3 years ago had an 11" beard and 1" spurs on both sides, and weighed 20 lbs. When he gobbled, the smaller jakes tucked tail and ran. My dad's turkey 2 years ago had a 3" but very gray and gnarled beard, almost 1" spurs, and weighed 19 lbs, and acted rather dominant too!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I usually look in their back pocket at their drivers license to see their birthday. :eek: ;D ;)

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I usually look in their back pocket at their drivers license to see their birthday. :eek: ;D ;)
HAHA!

I read something about this awhile ago. I'll do a little research and see if I can find out.
I'm not sure its an exact science though.
Heredity, and genetics have a lot to say about it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try that on my next turkey! Haha!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
most birds with spurs that are 1 in or better are 3yrs old or older. I shot one that at 1 1/4 spurs that was 4 yrs old back in missiour and the game warden there told that it was rare to get a bird that old. he had a 10 1/2 in beard and weighed 23 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If the bird lives in rocky terrain the spurs will get worn off so the aging by spur length is kind of tricky.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That helps a little. Thanks Dennis!

Quick question: If my turkey had an 11 inch beard, and 1 in spurs, could it have possibly been a 4-year-old?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject but after over 20 years of turkey hunting & only lacking 3 of the 6 Wild turkey subspecies.
I have found out at around age 3 a Jake transforms into a Tom.
He will have a almost or even fan, Spurs will take a pointed shape & his beard will be longer then 6".

I have a Jake/Tom Tail fan and he was around 3 1/2 years old.
I'll get a pic & post it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts