Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hunting partner and I do have a lease, however the turkey hunting on it is terrible to say the least. That leaves us with searching out public land to hunt...does anyone on here know anything about the turkey population in and around Kaw Lake? Any info concerning the North Central or Western part of the state would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure the flocks have completely split up around the Tulsa area..........thanks

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I was on Kaw yesterday, but was crappie fishing. Each cove we pulled into my buddy got out his locator call and let it go. We never got a gobble.
Met up with another guy that was using his boat to get around doing the same thing, and he had no luck locating anything.
5 Years ago Kaw was pretty good for turkey, but it gets hit so hard the first week, that they just shut up.
It has flooded so bad there for the last three years during the nesting season, that we commented that the numbers seem to be down as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report...with my limited outdoor time this spring I guess I will cross that trip off my list. Again thanks

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
My buddy lives 5 minutes from Kaw, and has killed more turkey in his life than anybody I know.
He moved here from Ga 8 years ago, and has taken a limit of turkey from Kaw every year but this one. He has only seen one bird, and when it was 80 yds from him, two other guys walked in on him. He goes three days a week minimum. Sux

1 - 4 of 4 Posts