Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I see he had a large round hole in the top of his head. Wonder how that happened. Been lucky so far and only ran into bull snakes and no rattlers yet.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
That would make one pucker up for sure.
We have copperheads around here. A couple have been outside the back door and swept away when the outer storm door opens. I think the body count is 10 copperheads now in the 32 years we have lived here which isn't a lot, but always hesitate and look down before going over the threshold to go outside.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Looks like a Massasauga. Typically they don't get much larger than 2', and don't have the most pronounced rattles. Probably not one of 32 little ones hiding around. Hopefully that helps calm you a bit.

I came across a 3' Speckled Kingsnake yesterday with the kids, we watched it for a while and I made sure they understood why we don't kill those.

What I hate is how close the Massasauga and Prairie Kingsnake can look alike if you only see the middle body.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a Massasauga. Typically they don't get much larger than 2', and don't have the most pronounced rattles. Probably not one of 32 little ones hiding around. Hopefully that helps calm you a bit.

I came across a 3' Speckled Kingsnake yesterday with the kids, we watched it for a while and I made sure they understood why we don't kill those.

What I hate is how close the Massasauga and Prairie Kingsnake can look alike if you only see the middle body.
People look at me crazy when I call them a Massasauga. Most have never heard that name.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts