Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to filming a lot of my hunts I've taken a lot of pictures through the years. I've recently been capturing some of the stills from my video footage which makes really neat photographs in the context of upland hunting. Here's some of my pictures.

This first is Scarlet. She was my first real bird dog and I chased her around killing birds she pointed in 5 different states. She died in '14 and I shoot into a covey of bobwhite near her grave every fall.

The next is Ellie (left) and Rhett. They've been my constant fall companions for 7 years now. I can't begin to count how many birds they've helped me harvest.

Finally, Dot the pup. I have big plans for her. Sire is Erin's Redrum and dam is Whiskey's Wild Rose.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Good looking pups!
Sadly, I had to put down my brittney Thursday.
We chased birds every weekend while in season for 14 years.
He loved to ride in my 4 wheeler.
Here is his picture on his last ride.

Large tumor in his lungs and congestive heart failure. Miss him already.
Sorry to put a damper on your thread. Just got to thinking about him again.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Good looking pups!
Sadly, I had to put down my brittney Thursday.
We chased birds every weekend while in season for 14 years.
He loved to ride in my 4 wheeler.
Here is his picture on his last ride.

Large tumor in his lungs and congestive heart failure. Miss him already.
Sorry to put a damper on your thread. Just got to thinking about him again.
Sorry to hear that Dennis. I've not had the privilege to find myself attached to a 4 legged friend like that. My wife has 3 Chihuahuas and I can't stand them. Must be the bread in my case. My dad had 4 GSP's and the last one passed shortly after my brother and I were born. I've heard all the pheasant and quail stories over the years.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dennis. I've not had the privilege to find myself attached to a 4 legged friend like that. My wife has 3 Chihuahuas and I can't stand them. Must be the bread in my case. My dad had 4 GSP's and the last one passed shortly after my brother and I were born. I've heard all the pheasant and quail stories over the years.
Even my wife will admit I spent more time with that dog that I spent with her for years, in training and hunting. He was truly a man's best friend. We shared my recliner, and he would slip into the bedroom raking the comforter and top sheet off the bed so he could sleep where I slept. I'd have to pick him up and move him off my area so i could go to bed at night. I could go on forever about his little nuances like that.
Because of his age, the vet had him on a non meat diet to help regulate him. On his last day he got elk meat, cheese, atv rides all day, etc.
Heck of a friend.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's not true of everybody but it has always felt to me like God invented dogs as a way to give us back something of us that we had lost. My dogs (all 4 of them) have unique personalities but share one common trait, a burning desire to make me happy. Their affections are immeasurable, their natural abilities amazing and their drive awesome. I can't imagine life without them.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Agree with all the above ^^^^^^.
They become part of the family.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts

Sharptail Grouse

Woodcock

Ruffed Grouse

My Michigan trifecta taken October 2018.
Not much meat on a woodcock, but I've killed a couple in Oklahoma. Man, they are fast and like to fly in the trees.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Nothing compares to walking to the stand in the dark with no light on, half asleep and flushing a covey of quail at your feet. That will get the blood bumping quick, adrenaline pumping at cardiac arrest levels and the need for fresh skivvies.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Hunting buddies are made from experiences shared that cannot be explained. Human or canine, a bond is formed that only the lucky few will know and when you loose that buddy, the memory will last for the rest of your days.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Nothing compares to walking to the stand in the dark with no light on, half asleep and flushing a covey of quail at your feet. That will get the blood bumping quick, adrenaline pumping at cardiac arrest levels and the need for fresh skivvies.
It's been so long since I've heard a covey of quail, it's put me in the hospital!!!

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Quail are making a comeback of sorts. The days when a ten covey day was the norm are gone with modern farming practices.
Now it only takes one season of drought or heavy rains at the wrong time during the nesting season to screw up the quail population for a couple of years.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the opener coming up I went back and found some of my previous years quail pictures. Enjoy....

Get out Saturday and make some memories!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The earliest one of me hunting I could find!

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Nice pics! That cat is mount worthy.
When is the opener? We have some of the new OLAP areas around my area. They look ripe for quail and pheasant.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice pics! That cat is mount worthy.
When is the opener? We have some of the new OLAP areas around my area. They look ripe for quail and pheasant.
Saturday, November 10.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts