Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Training run tonight and I took the camera. It was a beautiful evening made better by the fact I spent it with my dogs.

Dot is already showing her mid-season form.

Ellie Mae got in the stock tank and played for probably 15 minutes while I tried to talk her into getting out. She had fun while I looked (and felt) foolish.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Duck dog!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Was invited to a "canned" hunt this week up in Kansas. I'm comfortable saying that those are usually not my scene as I strongly prefer chasing wild birds over shooting pen raised birds but I accepted this invitation because it was a "European-style" pheasant shoot and I have not previously had a chance to shoot driven birds. It was fun.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
I’ve done a few charity pheasant hunts that had birds planted a few days in advance. It was fun and for charity so I won’t complain but I literally reached down on a couple occasional and picked a bird up off that ground that wouldn’t flush. Pen raised birds certainly don’t act like a skittish wild bird.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Never been on one, not saying I wouldn’t though.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I’ve done a few tower shoots. Had a few different experiences. Shot at one where the wind was howling and the birds tended to fly up really high and with the wind. Had to really lead them. With the wind like it was they ended up rotating us quicker than they normally did. Went to a shoot at Flint Oak where several of the birds would drop straight down and land. After the shoot was over the owners got their dogs out and we lined up and hunted them like we do in a corn field. Any shotgun activity is great. Just some better than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Good Luck on your hunt!

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Happy hunting and safe travels

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts