Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #261

A friend took this picture of my Ellie Mae last Thursday. She's been a helluva dog. I hope I get at least another couple years out of her.

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
Awesome pic!

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
It's tough on a dog's sense of smell in dry snow like that. Great looking point!

Reactions: Kelulu

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
i’ve always felt the sense of serenity and peacefulness hunting in the fresh snow.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
These frost pictures were taken on the 11th of February this year before the snow. On the night of the 9th through the morning of the 10th we had a heavy fog move into the lower areas of Beaver County. The temperatures dropped into the lower 20's causing an extraordinarily heavy frost to form in the areas of fog. This frost remained in place until yesterday because the cold weather and snow moved in on the night of the 12th and temps never got above freezing until the 19th.

There was a light snow falling at times on the 11th but no accumulation. The lower parts of the sage and other brush was mostly clear as was the ground. The birds were moving a lot and we found many of the 13 coveys that day in the ragweed patches among the sagebrush. I was worried about hunting them in the frost like that until we got into them and I saw how active they were. I'm certain that if we had hunted either of the days of closing weekend it would have been different as the temps were much more severe and there was snow covering the ground. Neither of those things were true on Thursday the 11th.

I didn't carry a gun just a camera. The frost and sunshine that day made for some really awesome photos. I'm glad you enjoy them.

261 - 268 of 268 Posts