Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys remember when Wal Mart actually had a sporting goods and sold guns? During hunting season there would be 5 or 6 isles dedicated to hunting. They used to carry lots of hunting clothing. Now we are lucky to get 1 isle and the clothing selection fits in a 10' area. Pathetic. Sam Walton is probably rolling over in his grave at what his store has become. He was a big time sportsman and now they could care less if they carry anthing for us at all. Ok, done venting now. :mad:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I honestly forget about the sporting goods section at Walmart for this same reason. I'f I'm trying to decide where to go get something I need I choose the place with the best option of having that. Forget about calling Walmart to ask an "associate" to go find out.

Walmart has a good number of products online. Unfortunately you can't find out if they are instock at a store or not.

I'll swing by the ammo cabinet if I'm in the store to see if they have any range ammo I might be neeing. Otherwise I stay out of that area of the store. Now for the hard part. I can't remember the last time I walked into a Walmart.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
There a 2 super wally worlds near me and both have an OK selection of hunting gear. But I agree they have gone way down hill over the last couple of years. Its a pain in the butt to even get anyone that knows a thing about ammo or license info at any of the local stores. I was reading in a mag some time ago that they got an award for donating some huge amount of money to and anti group. I know CA stopped selling guns at WM back in 93 after a few got sold to illegals and felons.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Well, when you live in a one horse town, you either shop what little there is at walmart, or shop on line.
I actually prefer to shop on line.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Walmart is the evil empire. I haven't stepped foot in that crap hole in so long. I actually drive an extra 2 miles to get what I want. I hate that place with a passion. We are getting a new Target so now I can go there for groceries but for hunting it is either Academy or Bass Pro. Wally world just plain sucks for everything.

One thing I do agree with and I know many will see otherwise but I can see why they are slowly stopping the sale of guns. There sales people are worthless in that area anyways. I'd rather go somewhere like Academy or Bass Pro or something to buy my guns and I actually do most of my gun shopping locally at local shops. I'd rather support the local shops anyways since my money stays local.

Oh did I mention how much I hate wally world.. :)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
We got two super wally worlds here in Lawton.
Both still sell guns,The new one of the two has a better selection to choose from.
They have seemed to go down hill with what they use to carry in both stores.
The camo pattern's to choose from are Wal- Mart camo or Realtree AP & APG.
What sucks- is the way they stock the hunting gear cause you may find the muzzleloader you want in with the golf stuff
::) ::) :eek: :eek: :mad: .

I hate the store as well,yet it doe's seem to have more the most Wal-Marts around.
Good thing ,I can choose from over 300 sponsors to buy gear & guns from now.
Still got to buy a few things from others.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I've heard that the McCalister Wally World had one heck of a sporting goods dept. Haven't laid eyes on it tho.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i work at wal-mart in okmulgee :-\ but is about the only place in this town for a college student to get a job beside fast food. i will agree tho from when i was a kid the sportiung goods dept. has suffered. i remember i could buy .22 Hornet there for about 18 or 19 bones a box. now you are lucky to find 30-06. there is about 2 asiles of hunting stuff right now. but the more i work there the less i go there. i only go there for work and to pick up paycheck. i grocery shop at the local grocery store and try to get all my ammo at the local pawn shop as he has a decent selection for rifle and pistol, not so much shotgun ammo.

I also have heard about McCalisters walmart for spoorting goods and then also at one point in time some one told me that enid walmart carried rcbs reloading equipment.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I've heard that the McCalister Wally World had one heck of a sporting goods dept. Haven't laid eyes on it tho.
Having just been there three weeks ago, I can verify that they have a good sporting goods section. Lots of ammo, lots of clothes, lots of stands on display, and a pretty fair fishing section.

From what I've been told its all a decision of the store manager for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Well I say we vote them managers out come Nov. 2nd and get some good one in,

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
If it were only so easy. The guy in PC has more paintball stuff than sporting goods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.