Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
This one was all hand made. The reciever and barrel were all hand carved with 24k gold and .99 silver inlays. Stock hand carved Turkish Walnut. I didn't have a camera or I'd have a pic. Was awesome I'll say that.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Shotgun prices are all about fit, finish, quality, and availability.
If anyone has the opportunity to put a stoeger coach gun SXS, next to a quality SXS such as a Merkel, or a Fausti, that has a hundred+ man hours in fitting the gun, engraving the wood and receiver, it becomes a little more apparent why the increase in price.
I'm sure okbob has visited with JJ Perideau at Champlain firearms. He is a gun maker that apprenticed in Belgium. His first two years were spent sweeping floors, and observing before even being allowed to touch a gun. Can't remember if he told me the apprenticeship was 6-7 years. He certainly does some fine work now.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Some people should never be allowed to own tools.

My buddy that I talked into getting an AR went big and bought a Mega Arms billet stripped upper and stripped lower, with all the upper end magpul furniture, and All JP parts. Low mass BCG, JP trigger, and the list goes on. He called me around noon, has all of the parts in and couldn't get the trigger to adjust right.
I get there, and the pin for the trigger is rolling in the receiver and locked on to the pins, the hammer to disconnect adjustment was out of whack, and the trigger spring is installed wrong.

They are the oversize JP anti-walk pins, that do fit the receiver tight, but when he installed it, the pin scored a little gouge on the inside of the trigger causing it to lock up when he drove it in with a hammer. It took two hours to get it straightened out, and operating right. He didn't order a gas tube, and didn't order a charging handle. He has over $2K in this thing and damm near ruined the receiver.

Parts out of packages laying all over the kitchen counter, and he didn't know where they came from. This could turn into a challenge.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
That is what this has turned into.

Back in the day I used to restore basket case Motorcycles. Somebody would attempt a rebuild, take it apart and forget how to put it back together.

Get them for $50 or so, get them running, and make a little change.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ok I have a question on buying a AR I have been told colts are good but you cant mix parts? So are the colt parts hader to come by? More expensive? Or are the others better quality?

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Ok I have a question on buying a AR I have been told colts are good but you cant mix parts? So are the colt parts hader to come by? More expensive? Or are the others better quality?
Colts are good guns, but they do use different parts. I suspect they did that in an effort to garner the parts business, but other manufacturers started building some parts for them.
If you are buying something like a trigger assembly, there will be an option for small or large pins. Colts for the most part use the large pins, so that is what you have to look for when buying parts.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I do not claim to be an expert on the matter by any means. This is what I have been told and researched on my own. As I understand it, Colt holds the "papers", so to speak, on what is considered true "mil-spec", more or less. This is because Colt actually manufactures AR's for the military, not just the civilian market. Other manufacturers make "mil-spec" parts too, but they are mil-spec based on the mil-spec quality of production not necessarily the overall design of the parts. Therefore, some of Colt's parts are a little different that what has become the industry standard for most commercially available AR parts and so on. In a nutshell: Colt=as close to true mil-spec as you can get; every other manufacturer=industry standard for commercial design or proprietary. Again, take this with a grain of salt I'm not 100% certain of the accuracy of the information, but I've heard this same information from multiple sources. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
374 Posts
FN has held the M16 contract since the mid 80's, and the M4 contract since about 2010 (I'm probably off by a year or two)...they are as milspec as you can get these days. That being said, I do have one of their DMR II rifles that has a 6061 upper instead of the 7075.

I carried FN rifles during all of my deployments and they worked just fine. My rifle in recruit training was a Colt though.

Lots of manufacturers make parts that are better than milspec, you just have to bring your wallet out to play.

My home defense and home offense M4 variants are both Daniel Defense V7 rifles. They are marketed as "milspec +", which is basically a fancy marketing way of saying that they do a bit more testing to some of their parts. I've built a few AR patterned rifles as well, and typically will spend a few extra dollars to get a part that has been individually HP/MPI inspected.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
I love my FNAR .308 it really like the 150g

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hahahahaha! I didn't even look the other day. I guess I did a little necro-thread digging up when I replied on here as I totally missed the "sticky". I'm going to assume that all horses here have long been beat dead by now...Sorry.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hahahahaha! I didn't even look the other day. I guess I did a little necro-thread digging up when I replied on here as I totally missed the "sticky". I'm going to assume that all horses here have long been beat dead by now...Sorry.
Oh no, there is no problem with bringing up a sticky. Thats why its there because it a living thread that can always be added to. Appreciate the input!

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've built three this year, all on Aero Precision builder sets as I got a couple of killer deals for Black Friday and Christmas.

- An 18" DMR/SPR build with all Ballistic Advantage parts...I must say that having a pinned gas block sure makes alignment less stressful. I haven't put any quality ammo or handloads through it, but it does okay'ish (about 1.5 - 2 MOA) with the cheap ball ammo. So far, it has the most predictable ejection pattern of any AR that I own...I can pick up the entire pile of brass without taking a step!
- A 16" lightweight build for the wife to shoot with a Faxon barrel and BCG. The Faxon barrel was the hardest to get into the upper receiver even with a small bit of thermo-fitting. I am waiting for my COVID check to buy a red dot for it (kidding!).
- A 20" 6.5 Grendel build because I couldn't let fellow member Double Naught Spy have all of the Grendel fun shooting hogs. Coincidentally, his last receiver set as well as mine have the same hydro-dip pattern. Mine sports all Wilson Combat internals as well as barrel.

My biggest take away from these projects was that you will either need a friend with all of the tools, or you will have to buy them yourself. I don't think that it is really cost-effective if you are only going to build one rifle. However, if you are going to do a couple as I did, then sure. I also think that there are so many quality AR pattern rifles out there that unless you either just WANT to build it yourself or you HAVE to have a particular set of features that you LOVE...then you are probably better off buying your AR. Still, its nice to be able to show off something that you put together yourself. It adds to the bragging rights (as long as you aren't plagued with malfunctions in front of your friends!).

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
I've built three this year, all on Aero Precision builder sets as I got a couple of killer deals for Black Friday and Christmas.

- An 18" DMR/SPR build with all Ballistic Advantage parts...I must say that having a pinned gas block sure makes alignment less stressful. I haven't put any quality ammo or handloads through it, but it does okay'ish (about 1.5 - 2 MOA) with the cheap ball ammo. So far, it has the most predictable ejection pattern of any AR that I own...I can pick up the entire pile of brass without taking a step!
- A 16" lightweight build for the wife to shoot with a Faxon barrel and BCG. The Faxon barrel was the hardest to get into the upper receiver even with a small bit of thermo-fitting. I am waiting for my COVID check to buy a red dot for it (kidding!).
- A 20" 6.5 Grendel build because I couldn't let fellow member Double Naught Spy have all of the Grendel fun shooting hogs. Coincidentally, his last receiver set as well as mine have the same hydro-dip pattern. Mine sports all Wilson Combat internals as well as barrel.

My biggest take away from these projects was that you will either need a friend with all of the tools, or you will have to buy them yourself. I don't think that it is really cost-effective if you are only going to build one rifle. However, if you are going to do a couple as I did, then sure. I also think that there are so many quality AR pattern rifles out there that unless you either just WANT to build it yourself or you HAVE to have a particular set of features that you LOVE...then you are probably better off buying your AR. Still, its nice to be able to show off something that you put together yourself. It adds to the bragging rights (as long as you aren't plagued with malfunctions in front of your friends!).
We’re guys and we like eye candy so some pics of guns are always welcome. Decked out, stripped down, half built it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I like building my own because I'm so picky about certain features. Trigger being #1. Every long gun I own is sporting a Timney or JP tuned trigger up to about a year ago, then found Rise Armament triggers that are much more cost effective than a Timney and are good, but the pinnacle is Timney.
Rise Armament triggers are made in Broken Arrow Ok.
I'm picky about my forearms not wanting the railed out versions. I like the Nordic models because they are smooth and I don't hang a bunch of stuff off of my rifles. Only one with a weapons mounted light and it's basically for armadillo control around the yard.
All the components to build another one is sitting in the shop, 5.56 SS barrel included, but I've got enough of that caliber. I like light waspy cartridges and have been mulling around what to build in another short action AR.
Also like to see my rounds break that 4000 fps mark, so it might be a .204 Ruger for this build.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Dennis you should start a YouTube series on building ARs.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
61 - 80 of 94 Posts