Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Too many out there doing the same thing. The information is out there.
But no YouTube series would top “Hoddy’s Hobby’s”. I’ve got several guys on here’s channels saved already.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My latest little put-together. it is a .223 Wylde sporting a BA barrel...actually this is pretty much an all Aero/BA build. The optic is an older Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44...which has always run flawless for me.

So far this thing has less than 50 rounds down the pipe, so it will need to be shot a little more before doing any real load development. Right now I've only thrown together some Mk 318 Mod 0 bullets over CFE 223, and it will hold about 1.5 MOA (not horrible for a combat bullet that isn't match). With cheaper M193 stuff it is about 2 MOA, but I'm not giving it a fair shot yet.
.223 Wylde BA Build.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Hornady BTHP and H322 should be a pretty decent combo for sure. I've got just a teeny tiny bit of 69gr and 77gr SMKs, and maybe just a couple 75gr Hornady BTHP. I hope that between those bullets and the "pound or two" of powders that I have, that I'll be able to find a sub-MOA combo...that is my passion.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
All of my 5.56 rifles but one has a 1-9 twist They shoot 55 grain very accurately. Back when reloading supplies were non-existent during the obama years I bought everything I could get my hands on if it wasn't at inflated prices. I don't and will not pay gouger prices.
I quit shooting .22 rimfire during the last shortage because i refused to pay more than .04 cents a round. Fortunately my stash ran out about the time of the 2016 election, so since that time when you can buy for .03 per round, I've stacked deep and there will never be a shortage again for me at least. My heirs may run out eventually.
I love shooting the steel at our range at 300 yards with the 5.56 and plinking loads are just fine for that. Plinking loads imho are those that will maintain a 1.5" group at 100 yards or less.
The precision loads will be Hornady 55 grain SPBT bullets. I can get them to almost cloverleaf at 100 yards, and they take a deer down just as fast as bigger calibers.
I can shoot 1/2 mile at the farm if I want, but just never have. The ground is so flat that there is no backstop and I lease the land out for a farmer.
Very few people living there but I'd hate to bounce one off the ground and hit someone on a tractor on the other side of the road that I couldn't see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have bolt guns to play the "how accurate can I get it" game. They are a lot easier on brass too. AR style rifles have always been a tool for me. That being said, I will definitely goof around with this one and my 6.5 Grendel build (finishing very soon) until they are both sub-MOA.

I too stocked up on everything I could get my hands on these past three years...buying like we were in a crisis every chance I could. I also stocked up when I found a sale or two during the previous administration.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Latest put together complete. Aero receiver set and all Aero lower parts minus the Larue MBT-2S. Upper has all Wilson Combat parts. Caliber is 6.5 Grendel.

Scope is a loaner older Sightron SIII from my Ruger #1. Found a killer deal on a Bushnell LRTS, but apparently the subcontractor that FedEx hires out in these parts liked it more as it never made it to my door. Going to the hassle of the claim right now.

20200512_162509.jpg

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Latest put together complete. Aero receiver set and all Aero lower parts minus the Larue MBT-2S. Upper has all Wilson Combat parts. Caliber is 6.5 Grendel.

Scope is a loaner older Sightron SIII from my Ruger #1. Found a killer deal on a Bushnell LRTS, but apparently the subcontractor that FedEx hires out in these parts liked it more as it never made it to my door. Going to the hassle of the claim right now.

View attachment 5524
Nice rifle. What stock is that and do you use it with muffs or ear plugs?

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Very nice rifle. I like that stock as well.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stock is an XLR. While it is fully adjustable, it is not as quickly adjustable as I'd like and takes an Allen key to do so. I might give it some points for looking cool, but this will be the one and only that I buy (it is lighter than the PRS stocks though).

Muzzle brake is a Wilson Combat Q Comp...I'll let you know what I think of it when I get behind the gun next week.

I shoot from inside my shop, and always wear muffs. The more aggressive brakes usually find me wearing more than one type of ear pro (i.e. plugs and muffs over them). This brake is less aggressive, and supposed to be good at hiding flash, and I do want to take it pig hunting at night a few times. If it recoils more than I want it to, I'll swap it out for something a little more aggressive. I want as little recoil as possible for fast follow-up shots on runners.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts