Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be building new blinds for our Paralyzed Veterans deer hunts we put on up in Miami and we are wanting to build them in old trailers so we can move them around easily. Some of the guys have a 'no lift' order from their doctors, so we need to make some adjustments to accomodate them. Small trailers that are 5-7 feet wide believe would work best, although quite honestly we have not thought too in-depth about the design beyond that. Anyone with one for sale or would like to donate one, please contact me here or at [email protected]. Thanks, everyone!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
The ODW or Disabled Veterans of America, has some trailers that have hydraulic lifts designed for disabled hunters.

My son that is in a wheel chair, and I took a test ride in one of them at the Bass Pro shop in OKC a year or so ago.

It was pretty quiet, and self contained. It was on an 16-18 ft trailer with basically a front end loader from a tractor made into a box blind, with a battery powered hydraulic pump to lift it up and down.

I'm not 100% sure if it was sponsored by the ODW, or the Disabled Vererans Of America organization. I'm sure the ODW could

It was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have 2 old trailers that need repaired, that I was thinking of doing the same thing with those. They are basically frame and axles. The floors are beyond salvage, and one of them has old axles (spoked wheels) that I don't know if I would even be able to get tires for. You might be able to get a new axle or spindles for it. It will need a new hitch too! The hitch that's on it is for pulling behind a tractor on the draw bar. You are welcome to take a look at them and make me an offer. Otherwise I'll eventually get around to turning them into portable box blinds.

I live in Okemah, about an hour directly southwest of Tulsa. Maybe you can stop by and look at them sometime on your way to/from Dallas!?

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ODW or Disabled Veterans of America, has some trailers that have hydraulic lifts designed for disabled hunters.
My son that is in a wheel chair, and I took a test ride in one of them at the Bass Pro shop in OKC a year or so ago.
It was pretty quiet, and self contained. It was on an 16-18 ft trailer with basically a front end loader from a tractor made into a box blind, with a battery powered hydraulic pump to lift it up and down.
I'm not 100% sure if it was sponsored by the ODW, or the Disabled Vererans Of America organization. I'm sure the ODW could

It was a couple of years ago.
We have borrowed it a couple of times...awesome unit! Whenever we were able to borrow it though, whomever (not the state) was using it next would demand it to be delivered on the Monday immediately following the hunt. Difficult to get done, especially since I live in Dallas now and get in late on that Sunday evening.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I may be able to ask Bill, the MAPVA President, to stop by sometime on his way to the office...might PM me your contact info when you get the chance. Would you mind taking a couple of pics in the meantime?

I have 2 old trailers that need repaired, that I was thinking of doing the same thing with those. They are basically frame and axles. The floors are beyond salvage, and one of them has old axles (spoked wheels) that I don't know if I would even be able to get tires for. You might be able to get a new axle or spindles for it. It will need a new hitch too! The hitch that's on it is for pulling behind a tractor on the draw bar. You are welcome to take a look at them and make me an offer. Otherwise I'll eventually get around to turning them into portable box blinds.

I live in Okemah, about an hour directly southwest of Tulsa. Maybe you can stop by and look at them sometime on your way to/from Dallas!?

·
Registered
840 Posts
No problem!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts