Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Man I need too hook up with you!!! But I have to work this wekend!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I have to go to Kansas tomorrow for the weekend.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Still after them, quick hunt this evening and they were somewhat cooperative. Ended up with 4 snows, 1 lesser Can, wigeon drake, 2 mallards drakes and a nice looking sprig.
Put me down for 4 snows, 1 lesser can and 2 ducks.

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Field hunt? The ponds weren't frozen yesterday, but this morning, The Arkansas and Salt fork rivers were frozen on top. Still froze on my way from work this evening. Sunday is my only day off.
Is Grant still open?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Yes field hunt. All ponds are still frozen here too except for the ones that the birds have kept open. Not supposed to freeze tonight and the wind is supposed to blow a little all night so that will help with the ice. Grant Co open east of hwy 132 for all waterfowl until this Sunday, it's the last day for ducks in the state....geese goes on through various dates in February, then the special goose season opens thru March.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Nice batch of birds

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Congrats on the last day success!

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Nice way to end it

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice bunch of birds. What a great way to end the season.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I want to go duck hunting!!!!!! This is crazy why must it end
I'm with you, every year I get a waterfowl survey from the Feds, send in the duck wings and all that hoopla for their research. For the last 10 years, in the comment box of the survey, I always suggest/beg that they discuss with ODWC about going to 2 waterfowl zones........High Plains in panhandle like normal, and making the rest of the state one big zone, getting rid of the split and run one continuous season that runs through the end of January and just start the season two weeks later. It's a Federal reg IIRC that states that ducks can't be hunted in February...........but I wish they'd let us hunt right up to it, January is THE BEST month for ducks in the NW and NC regions in OK, both is zones 1 & 2........so depending on your properties, you might get to hunt half or three fourths of the best month, instead of all of it.

On another note, I was visiting with a guy on another forum who hunts around Boswell, OK and helps with a guide service there. He said they killed 2437 ducks for the season, averaged just under 25 birds per trip!

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
On my way home Sunday from Wichita, KS just in the 40 miles or so from the base to the toll booth I probably saw 2k+ and may be safe at say it was closer to 3k geese. Everywhere in the sky, every body of water and in fields. I ran off th road a bit a couple time in awe of hundreds falling from the sky landing. It was incredable to see that.

I also saw close to 50 turkey, 7/8 deer, yote and a dillo in that same distance. Was a great evening to see all things wild. I love that part of the drive home.

Reactions: Bird (this time)
121 - 138 of 138 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.