·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Cool!

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
You killed a Canuk!! He was a long way from home.

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Very cool, that seems to be where the majority of the banded mallards originate that get plugged here in OK, especially here in the NW part.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Nice Mason!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a nice quail hunt at Kaw WMA today and left far more behind than I took. Saw birds in several different spots. Nice covey sizes In the woods, ditches, prairies, and field edges.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451965447.346995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451965534.188274.jpg

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nice! Can't wait for tomorrow got on a loaded field hopefully they jump right in it again tomorrow morning and we rail road them.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Had a nice quail hunt at Kaw WMA today and left far more behind than I took. Saw birds in several different spots. Nice covey sizes In the woods, ditches, prairies, and field edges.

View attachment 597

View attachment 599
Sand burr in the pups foot? Looks like mine when he does that.

Are you on the rebals without meat team? Didn't see your name on our roster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
nah, just caught him mid step Dennis. I actually didn't have any issues with sand spurs/burrs yesterday at all. I boot him up when we are at black kettle and packsaddle - not as big an issue in your neck of the woods...or we've just been lucky

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
nah, just caught him mid step Dennis. I actually didn't have any issues with sand spurs/burrs yesterday at all. I boot him up when we are at black kettle and packsaddle - not as big an issue in your neck of the woods...or we've just been lucky
If you hunt around the Osage cove swim beach area, there is a major sand burr issue. That's the only place I've ran on to them.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Went to check my cameras today and took Gunner. We stopped at a 4 acre spot where great grandpas house used to stand.
Pretty brushy in one corner, and there is usually quail.
Gunner went on point, and a dozen quail came up.
As soon as I raised the gun, heard a pheasant come up.
Dropped two quail on the rise, turned and hit the rooster. Saw the rooster hit and bounce, so assumed he was dead.
Gunner found the first quail pretty quick. It's so thick in there that I couldn't even get in there. Got the first one, and he went back for the second.
Second was crippled, and it kept flying away with 1/2 of a broken wing. He tried, and hunted dead for 30 minutes. Never found that one. Went back for the rooster, it was gone!
Got gunner back into the search and after a lot of rooting around in the dense grass and fallen trees, he found it, but it started running. I could hear the chase and the next thing I knew, it broke out of the brush at my feet. Just raised my foot and pinned it.
Game over.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452046374.965335.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452046390.033770.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452046407.304015.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Nice mixed bag and certainly an eventful search.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dennis, I'm starting to think you could turn a walk to the mailbox into a great outdoor adventure. Cool story. Good dog work and way to be quick on your feet.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.