Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Bird down with a recovery is good. Difficult recovery's make memories.
One of my best was hunting behind a buddy's Brittany's in a flooded CRP field. We shot a quail and it fluttered down a long way off. The britt had to cross a deep creek and went on point on the other side with his front feet on ground, and the back end floating. The grass was hanging over the water. Buddy went to the other side and actually had to reach into the overhanging grass to get the quail. Britt was steady.
That's a memory. That's why I always take pics. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, my dogs first wild bird actually fell into a brush pile and the still live bird was digging his way into the bottom of that pile. Ranger had to go to ground and dig her out of there. I loved seeing him negotiate the pile and figuring out what branches he could stand on and which ones weren't stable enough all while his head was nowhere to be seen. This season the steadiness after the flush has taken a nosedive which has caused me to avoid taking some shots on low flying birds simply bc he was too close...just gives us something to work on in the offseason.

and sorry no, I'm not part of the team. I accidentally posted in the wrong forum.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Gunner was a little rusty. He's 12 and we have had nesting season floods, hail and drought for so long that we have stayed out of there for several years, so he only gets a couple trips a year. He was diagnosed with a heart murmer, and takes some meds that make him cough when he is out too long.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
That's what I loved about hunting peasants, the retrieves were as much fun as the shooting. Hunting in a snow covered field in Nebraska, I had to tackle a wounded roster and we both slid down a quarter mile hill with me trying to wring his kneck, not lose my gun and him trying his best Mexican fighting chicken imitation all the way down.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
That's what I loved about hunting peasants, the retrieves were as much fun as the shooting. Hunting in a snow covered field in Nebraska, I had to tackle a wounded roster and we both slid down a quarter mile hill with me trying to wring his kneck, not lose my gun and him trying his best Mexican fighting chicken imitation all the way down.
Its a blast dropping one in a wheat field, and watching a dog have a hard time catching a bird with 3" legs. :D

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Big pile there Mason.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Truck is starting to sag!

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Congrats. Been seeing a lot of geese here in Wichita that are headed south.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Pheasant hunt today. Two are mine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452479355.540171.jpg

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Congrats on the ringnecks

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
You got the honey hole for sure. I cracked 2 ribs the other day and could shoot a gun if I wanted too.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
You got the honey hole for sure. I cracked 2 ribs the other day and could shoot a gun if I wanted too.
I'll bet the next time the wife tells you to sit down and shut up, you'll mind her!

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
^^^^^that would have actually been a better reason for it than how I actually did it. Blonde poster child moment for sure. That's also what I get for helping someone out as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I have been blessed this season. One of the best I've had in a long while. Sad it ends here quickly
This is your property pond isn't it?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
^^^^ Nice, got to be where they want to be! Good getting your dog on a lot of birds this first year. Makes a huge difference on down the road imo.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.