Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sold the wooded 1/2 of the ranch (~500 acres) about a decade ago because land prices were growing and trying to find/chase cows over/through densely wooded hills was pretty fruitless. A dentist from Dallas bought it, and hadn't ever done much with it...until this year.

Had a couple calves find a hole in the fence between us (the property boundary is actually a creek with a ravine and heavily wooded on their side). Went after the last two over onto their place and found a new ~ 5 acre food plot covered in clover, feeder, and pre-fabricated shooting house on a part they cleared.

Good for them, but I had been counting on the bucks coming from deep within their area over to my side to chase the few does that reside on my place. I had even started a 1.25 acre food plot of my own about 1/3 mile in from that crossing in hopes to get one as they meandered over/back at first/last light.

Guess I'll have to start working on creating buck bedding instead, and hope that whoever is hunting the place next door is clumsy and bumps the deer over.

The bright side is that I hope the hogs that are from that area stay over there now and tear it up instead of our hay meadow.

Guess I'll start planning a 2022 plot location on the other side of the ranch...Haha.

Oh well, best of luck to the neighbors this year. I documented 11 different bucks last season on my traol cam that was close to the property line...two were brutes.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
That sucks but what can you do right? Might be time to befriend the neighbors and asking for hunting permission. Who knows maybe the wind will blow every hunt for them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I deal with the same type of issue. My home place is not near as good habitat as all the neighbors places. Over the years I have worked on it and figured out what the deer want. Ive cut out grazing on half of the farm and reintroduced big bluestem and little bluestemand also brought back in hairy vetch, which they really seem to love. Most people around me only think about deer season 3 or 4 months a year. I work on it all year long. Food plots, bedding areas, year round feed stations and mineral sites. I seem to draw the big ones every season. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes the neighbors get lucky

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
When it’s all said and done that $20 deer tag has an extra zero or two or three added to then end. I’m learning that quickly with bear baiting.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't count the zeroes. I do it because I have a passion for hunting and the outdoors. I'm slowly trying transitioning a farm we have farmed for generations back to wildlife habitat. A place where the next several generations can learn the outdoor culture that I grew up with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually trying to increase the deer population in that area. Maybe they'll be helping me achieve that. I have five regular does on that ~ 150 acre part of the ranch and that's it.

Or maybe they come in and fill a bunch of doe tags and leave that area desolate. Time will tell.

I bet they call the game warden on me a few times this year for shooting stuff at night (not deer obviously). I still have hogs here, and generally get to thinning the raccoons and skunks again in the fall.

The other (former) Texas neighbors went out on their porch and started shooting wildly in the air one night just after I popped a boar on my place. I was about 300 yards from our property line, but their rapid discharge in a high angle over my head didn't sit well with me. I told their 'next door' neighbor that if they were looking to get into a gunfight all they had to do was ask...or shoot in my general direction again. I guess the word got back to them because I've fired probably 30 rounds in the last six months over in that area and never heard a peep again.

Most everyone around here knows I shoot hogs at night. Even managed to make pretty decent acquaintances with the local warden.

I'm still hoping that this new development is going to improve numbers on that part of the ranch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I deal with the same type of issue. My home place is not near as good habitat as all the neighbors places. Over the years I have worked on it and figured out what the deer want. Ive cut out grazing on half of the farm and reintroduced big bluestem and little bluestemand also brought back in hairy vetch, which they really seem to love. Most people around me only think about deer season 3 or 4 months a year. I work on it all year long. Food plots, bedding areas, year round feed stations and mineral sites. I seem to draw the big ones every season. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes the neighbors get lucky
What method did you use on reintroducing the big and little bluestem?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
All I have is food for the deer on our places. Mostly waterways and small wood lots of 20 acres or so that I put food plots in.
Does hang out in the wood lots which in turn attract the bucks when the rut starts.
The farmer that leases it plants the fields so I just have to maintain a couple of small plots to keep the does attracted.
It's amazing how many big bucks I bust out of waterways with bermuda and brush cover in them.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
310 Posts
What method did you use on reintroducing the big and little bluestem?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Mowed strips where I wanted to get it started and then gave it a shot of roundup. After I got it killed back i used the great plains no till seeder and put it in the ground. Its slowly but surely spreading out from where I planted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Bermuda. Its only good for lawns and grazing. I think all the Bermuda pasture and poor grazing habits is part of the reason quail numbers are what they are. That and mowing ditches. I try to plan my summer plots so they will provide some food and cover for quail. Dont hunt them anymore, too scarce in my area but I like to give them a reason to be around.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Bermuda. Its only good for lawns and grazing. I think all the Bermuda pasture and poor grazing habits is part of the reason quail numbers are what they are. That and mowing ditches. I try to plan my summer plots so they will provide some food and cover for quail. Dont hunt them anymore, too scarce in my area but I like to give them a reason to be around.
You are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Bermuda pastures don’t provide cover from avian predators either. A combination of brush and native grasses always worked in the past.
It used to be farmers left fence rows and corners with habitat in them for the quail.
Now all the fences are pulled with the habitat lost.
Can’t blame them as farming is not the way to get rich. Every acre counts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts