Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day, low winds, great day to hunt and fish. Also a great day to total out a boat...I'm too pissed to talk about it now.

·
Registered
840 Posts
OUCH!! Hopefully you'll get everything worked out. Sorry about the boat!

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was trout fishing at Pawhuska lake, and caught the biggest rainbow ever, and was on the way home. Pitch dark, and coming up on a hill saw emergency lights ahead of me over the horizon. Pulled to the shoulder, but coming up over the hill OHP, or sherriff car came at me on my side of the road. A vehicle did not yield, and he was passing. To avoid a head-on I went to the side of the road, which was extremely rough.
It was hell with crap bouncing around, but finally made it back up to the shoulder, where the boat trailer hit a basketball size chunk of rock, breaking the hitch rope, and causing the boat to come off the trailer, landing in the road. I finally got shut down over the hill, and got turned around, only to see where a lady hit the boat head on in a new SUV. Smashed in the front, and sent it skidding down the road grinding the skeg off the motor. Emergency vehicle never even stopped. I don't think he even saw what happened.
Called OHP, and a trooper showed up. I was pretty pissed, but the guy was cool, and worked the accident. He didn't give a ticket or anything, so I'm thinking he probably knew something about what vehicle ran me off the road. By the time it was over, there were two OHP cruisers, and three Osage county vehicles. They helped me find everthing that bounced out of the back of the truck and the boat. One of them even came up with a trout that had been "thrown clear of the accident". Now I have to find out if insurance on my truck will cover a boat on a trailer.

I will say this, that Toyota Tacoma can take some abuse and come out without a scratch. I can't believe something in the suspension wasn't broke.

·
Registered
840 Posts
At least you're safe! And hopefully (from you not mentioning it) the driver who hit the boat wasn't hurt either!! That's the most important thing. The boat, well, it's just stuff and can be replaced.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, nobody was hurt, but that boat is going to be tough to replace.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Sorry to hear that dennis. I know that with USAA as my insurance company they refer ed me to Progressive for my boat insurance because my vehicle (full coverage) didn't cover my boat or trailer and USAA doesn't have a plan for them.

My dad was going on a fishing trip to Port Hardy (northern most town on Vancouver Island, BC) with several friends. They were in a motorhome and pulling a aluminum jet boat. The trailer tongue broke and so did the safety chains. The boat went off the road and down a ravine several hundred feet. Everything was a total loss. Only way to get boat and trailer pieces back was pack horse or helicopter. It all still sits at the bottom and that was about 5 years ago. Over 80k in losses.

Glad you are OK and as said before its all stuff that can be replaced.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Not sure whom your insurance is with, but most will cover if its attached to the vehicle when something happens. Found that out the hard way when my jet ski was stolen and I didnt have a separate policy on it.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out today, that the boat and motor will not be covered by my insurance, but at least the ladys vehicle will be covered under the liability policy. Now I'm wondering how much I can get out of the scrap aluminum at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Dennis, whose your insurance company? Usually if u are towing something behind the insured vehicle it is covered. That's what farm bureau told me at the time

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Believe I'd be tracking down who the cop was that caused all that. He's got some responsibility to respond and not cause accidents.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree you should be able to find out who was in the area they report when they run hot there should be a record. Of who it was. And yes your insurance should cover some. Stay on them.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was all over the insurance company( Hartford) about this, but they finally sent a copy of the policy that that stated the boat and motor are an insurable item, and won't be covered by the auto policy.
I'm getting quotes from other insurance companies as we speak.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well, I hope it all works out for you. Replacing a boat with out insurance has got to hurt- especially when it wasn't even your fault.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I think the County should pay if their deputy ran u off the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts