Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day from 1981 to about 1989 I rode, raced, and played on three wheelers. We used to go to Little Sahara at Waynoka Ok several times a year with large crowds from Ponca City and rent the state lodge. I don't believe the lodge is there any more and is used as the park office.

A friend/ co-worker bought two Polaris Rangers to play on, and we decided to hit
the dunes. I wish I had pics of some of the roll/overs, and them getting stuck on the trails, but I found out long ago that on the dunes, unless you have an air-tight container, the sand will get in and ruin everything you have.

I took my 250 SX, and rode the first 1 1/2 hours, got on one of the RZrs, and then back on the tryke. I was pretty tired by the end of the day.. It was a good tired though. I forgot how much fun/challenge it it over there. ;D

·
Registered
918 Posts
man they are fun the guy I work for just got a VW buggy and since Im only 30min from there Im looking for something now

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not been to the dunes ,but I heard there are too many nuts there now.
On the busy weekends I'm sure there are lots of nuts out there, but we were only one of 5 groups in the whole park. If we saw anybody else it was usually a long way off.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Man, I haven't been to the dunes since '89 on a Zuki 250 quadracer. Sure had some good times there and loved to ride at night on the trails. First couple of times it was a good thing they had the beacon light.
Some of the best trips were on the rattlesnake hunt weekend.
How did the RZR's do? I thought one of those and a set of paddle tires would be fun. Can you get 'em to slide around a corner?

Anyone been to the dunes near Beaver? The dunes there look HUGE!!!!

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RZR's did really great! I don't think paddles are necessary. We got one stuck because of narrow trees, but pulled it sideways with the other. I've ridden atv's with paddles and while you can go just about everywhere you want without a problem, I like staying with the knobs. It adds a challenge to the ride. My best O-Crap came when trying to climb buttercup. I had it made, but backed off just a split second too soon, and stuck the three wheeler. Trust me, its a long way down backwards hanging like an ape over the handlebars, and using only the front brake ;D

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
On my quad, I shaved off every other row of knobs on the stock tires. Seemed to work well and you could still power slide around corners like a banshee.

I bet that was pretty hairy backing down the dune with only one front tire!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts