Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m bow hunting, I would see deer all day long. Sometimes 5 to 20 deer a weekend. Now I’m not seeing Chet. I could fill a feeder, move a camera and deer that evening or at night. This pop up ground stand has been up for a while but hardly hunted it. Last Sunday I had a very nice 8 or 10 point come in but I couldn’t see him untill He was on me from the thick cover. That evening I trimmed some small limb to thin them out and create a shooting lane. I have done this before and still see deer. On my tree stand i put up a ground blind so my wife will be warmer and not scaredy-she’s scared of heights. I have some things in the past, i.e. check camera, fill feeders and so on. Now, I’m not seeing Chet, nothing at either feeder. I always do my preventative maintenance to keep my scent down. Shower, sprays …. What happen. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
713 Posts
You and everyone else have moved into the woods seeking deer. Couple that with a large amount of does coming into heat and you have significantly less movement, especially during the day. By this weekend you should see movement again, but I'm betting on a disproportionate amount of it being at night since the moon is out and the woods filled with hunters.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Funny how it just depends on where you're hunting. Our property is in Okfuskee County. There are many hunting properties along the N Canadian river. Saturday was super slow all day long. Feeder that usually has 8-10 does/yearlings on it each time it goes off may have 1 or 2 deer come by but absolutely NO bucks, not even dinks. Winds changed so I couldn't hunt the same stand on Sunday. Talked to a rancher Sunday afternoon who owns over 1000 acres and had 6 or 7 out hunting all last week and he said locked down. They took 1 buck - decent 8 pt but nothing near the caliber of deer in the area. I pulled SD cards before heading home. Checked that evening and sumb!tch - two of our targeted bucks along with 6 other deer were on the same feeder that had zero activity day before! 0830 to 0845 within 30 yards of my stand. I think the raccoons are tipping them off!

Moon phase should just change their patterns and possibly feeding later. Hopefully not all nocturnal. We don't rifle hunt but one neighbor does so my plans are to bump up the feeders and put as little pressure as possible so maybe they'll hunker down on our place until rifle season is over. But, given a South wind, I'll be in that same stand all day if necessary.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
I have two cell cams. Only getting pics of single yearlings which are probably button bucks and little racked bucks.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If the deer aren't coming to your feeder, stop hunting over your feeder. Especially during rut, your could go weeks without seeing good activity at your feeder. The deer are still there, just doing something else, somewhere else. Go find a thicket and setup on a trail on the edge of that thicket. Grab a climber or hang on with sticks and push the boundaries of your comfort level getting close to bedding areas. With the deer distracted, they aren't nearly as jumpy when it comes to human presence, the rules of scent control still apply, but this is a good strategy for getting really close to deer right now. Feeders are better suited for summer and post-rut feeding patterns.

I just spent 3 days hunting 77 acres of public that I can't bait on and I only ever sat in the same tree twice. I saw 13 deer, 6 of them were different bucks, and I shot a doe on the last evening. I had deer within 20 yards of me every single set, but I was hunting river bottoms, shelf edges, travel corridors between thick timber, edges of thickets, etc. Don't be afraid to mix it up if you aren't seeing anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts