Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the trips afield this season which one stands out from all the rest and why.

Mine would have to be my ML quota hunt at the new Grady County WMA. It was just opened up before archery season and I got 1 of 8 ML tags given. This was my second ever lotto draw. I did some good scouting during the bow season and learned the area well. But the fact I harvested my first deer of the season, first with a ML and a left handed shot too boot but most importantly was my deer being the first deer taken from the new WMA. Anyone can say they got a first for the season or with a weapon means heck even a week handed shot but how many can say the first for a new piece of public land/ WMA. I may have only taken a buttun buck but it may as well have been a B&C world record for me. I had plenty of missed opportunities before I got that deer but I think the big guy was pulling for me this time.

But my second deer taken a week later stands out as well because I had my son with me. Every deer I have ever taken I have always been hunting alone. To have my boy with me was great. He got to see first hand what it takes to get a deer from the field to the table. He helped me skin, butcher and package the deer. He still talks about it every chance he gets.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Best hunt of the season.........Hmmmm, thats gonna be a tough one. The season isn't over yet, so I might have one more hunt left in me before its over.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It was when I shot my first Canvasback.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine would have to be when I was rifle hunting and saw a really nice wide 8 point 450 yards off but he was on someone else's property. I started grunting really loud and finally got his attention and then started rattling and grunting in sequences. He finally jump the fence coming toward me but had to come thru a bunch of brush that was about 250 yards in front of me. I kept rattling and grunting for several minutes (at least 15 or 20 minutes) trying to get him to show on my side of the brush thicket. I had about 10 minutes of good daylight left when I happened to look to my left and WOW...there was a really nice buck about 265 yards to my left and was really interested in the fight that he knew was going on. I was fortunate enough to get a good shot on him with my 300WSM and saw him stumbling in some brush. I had only a couple of minutes before dark to get there but I got to say it was probably the most excited I've been in a long time..I found him in only a few minutes and discovered he was a 12 point frame with 3 really nice kickers..Total of 15. Been hunting and harvesting deer for around 44 years and he was the nicest buck I have ever taken. I actually think I was as excited as I was when I took my first nice buck at 18. I'm now 61. I now know that this old body can still get the shakes..Thanks for asking Bull...you just helped me relive my hunt..Sasakwa :)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Today with baby-Rick and my boss's son Steven.
3 limit's of ducks and done in less then 2 hours.
Shot my best ever in 34 years of duck'n.
5 drake Gadwall came over shot 2 down 1 at close to 80 yards & the other 3 swang through the tree's and came back right over me...Boom drop- Boom drop-Boom drop.
Flipping Awesome-5 shot's -5 drake Gadwall- They all went home with me & none made it out alive.
It was a great morning duck hunt & everyone took limits home.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on sasakwa glad it helped ya get the shakes again. Next time drink decaf. lol

Gauge Not sure how that was so good for you. Thats how you normaly shoot. Most of the time they die before you even have to shoot them.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
2 hunts stand out. The youth hunt with my son and my first crossbow kill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts