Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like most freshwater fish when it comes to deep frying fish except for Carp,Drum,Buffalo,and Gar.

My top 3 to eat in order are.

1st.........Crappie
2nd........largemouth Bass
3rd........sand bass

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
#1 Walleye
#2 Saugeye
#3 Catfish

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
1. walleye
2.Saugeye
3. Crappie

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
1-Cold water trout
2-Salmon
3-Catfish

·
Registered
92 Posts
really the only fish i eat are cat fish and crappie....ate few trout from put and take lakes/ponds

so that puts me at
1 catfish
2 crappie
3 trout

catfish is only no. 1 when me or my mother cooks it....im pickey

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
1. Crappie/Walley- can't tell the diffrence in the two, so they are tied.
2. Fresh caught & grilled Trout. Mostly cause of the fishing trip envolved to do this.

3. Catfish/Bass- Tied again cause that's what I catch and eat from ponds around here and they are gooood eatin'.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Just to put this out there....
Years ago I caught a 12lb Gar, and cleaned it. I deep fried the meat with sandies, and crappie, and kept it in seperate piles on the serving table. I kept an eye on everybody, and no body threw any fish away, so with the Gar only eating live food, I'm thinking those not wanting to eat them may have a perception of it not tasting good without actually trying one. They are tough to clean, but I have a better way.
The meat is not as flaky as crappie, but more like blue cat.
Don't knock it until you honestly try it.
It could be like paddlefish....you have to be ruthless in cutting the fat away from the meat or it will be fishy tasting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always wanted to try gar meat at least once,everyone who has eaten it has had good comments about the meat that I have talked too. Caught a huge gar on Hudson lake last year on a jugline,after pulling him up out of the water and getting a close view of his teeth,I decided to cut the line and release him back into the lake.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Alligator Gar is good eating.
Friends use to go to TX & bring us back fillets of it to deep fry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts