Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sub-forum needs a boost, so I figured I'd see what everyone was planning on taking out to the woods with them during rifle season.

I'll probably be out mostly during archery season as well as muzzle loader, but it never hurts to ask to see what modern rifle everyone else is using...*and no, this isn't a measuring contest.

My primary rig this year is going to be my new(ish) Bergera Approach in 7mm RM. I had a problem right off the bat with it not popping CCI primers, and the Grayboe stock was too flexible and could touch the barrel. Some sanding, bedding, and trading for Federal primers, and it has been pretty solidly in the .6-.7 MOA range with both bullets and powders I've tried in it. I'll be using 150gr ELD-X at a leisurely 3,050 FPS, and have reliable data out to 450yds with it. Scope is a 4.5-18x Bushnell LRTS that I got from Camera Land (forum sponsor) at a closeout bargain.
20210528_171130.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Standing overwatch during rifle season (loaded in the mudroom corner) will be my old trusty first generation FN SPR in .308, that was a police department trade in. I don't know how many rounds are through it, but the bore looks great. Even more important; my very first load development attempt with 165gr Nosler BT produced a .4 MOA group shot off of the back of my 4wheeler with a bipod. The turret on the Leupold Mk4 that came with it is calibrated for 168gr Federal GMM, but the 165gr load tracks perfect with the turret to 400yds...my personal limit with a .308 and fixed 10x on game. This rifle dropped a few decent deer over the past few years.

20210528_171102.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last, is my old faithful...my first rifle that I purchased at 14 after mowing yards for seven months. It is a 1991 made 700 BDL in .30-06. The scope is a Redfield 3-9x that I bought ahead of the rifle. This rifle kicked my butt hard when I was a young teen and gave me a heck of a flinch. As an adult, I removed and re-bedded the pressure pad, bedded the action, and adjusted the trigger down to just over 3lbs. This action is so smooth, and the rifle so light (comparatively) that it is a joy to take out. With a moderate load of IMR-4064, and 178gr Hornady A-MAX it is disgustingly accurate too...better than anything I've found for my Bergara. I'll use this if I'm just hunting my food plot. Ive actually never shot a good buck with it. I'd like to do so before I die :) .

20210528_171117.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I’ll toss out what the whole clan will be using and not just me.
Black Bear .44 Mag, Crossbow
Antelope .223, .308, 6.5 CM & 30-06
Mule Deer 6.5 CM & Rem 7mm Mag
Elk, 30-06, Rem 7mm Mag
Of course this means we have to draw all are tags.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I try to take a safe queen out every deer season to let them all taste blood. One deer, one rifle, another deer, another rifle and so on.
I think the .270 Winchester Pre 64 Super Grade is up next as well as the sporterized 7.7 Jap that is now a .300 Savage. (It needs a scope)
I don't see the Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06 is getting out this year as this is the second year I'm not going elk hunting. My freezer is still full.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I try to take a safe queen out every deer season to let them all taste blood. One deer, one rifle, another deer, another rifle and so on.
I think the .270 Winchester Pre 64 Super Grade is up next as well as the sporterized 7.7 Jap that is now a .300 Savage. (It needs a scope)
I don't see the Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06 is getting out this year as this is the second year I'm not going elk hunting. My freezer is still full.
I'd like to see a picture of that Pre 64 Super Grade!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I rifle hunt this year, more than likely the new to me Blaser R8 300 Win Mag will get the nod, but it won’t be because I necessarily “need” a 300 WM but more like “I got the gun, spent a ton of work developing a load, and want to kill something with it”.🤷‍♂️
View attachment 6529
I think we all have something that we invested so much into, we feel like we ought to kill something with it just to justify the effort.

Nice rifle!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I was up at the lake when this post opened and was going to reply. But then I remember, my photohosting service was destroyed in the French Cloud fire. So I am home now and ran out out took some new photo's of what I hope will be my deer shooters this year.

First a Greener made for Rawbone, Cape Town.

This Martini is is marked "For .303 Ammunition". A British .303 drops right and blows the head right off the case when fired. The .303 British use a bullet of .311 diameter. When the Brits developed the cartridge they started with original Swiss Rubin 7.95 cartridge which uses a .304 diameter bullet. After blowing three case heads, I slugged the bore and found it is .304. I got some 180 grain .304 Bullets from Hawk and will see if I can make this old gun shoot. If I can get this gun to shoot groups, this is my first choice for deer.

My second choice is this Naughton and Holloway Martini built on a Bonehill action.

This gun is a .303 British, but it in its it has had a steady diet of coordite ammo and the bore is shot out. I have a .303 Liner and I am think of taking it to Mike Bassett and have him reline it. But... I am also contemplating relining in .375 2-3/4 Flanged Nitro Express. That would mean a complete retooling on my part. New dies from CH4D, Bertram Brass from Buffalo Arms. Then load development. Not sure this gun would be ready by hunting season. If it were it would be my back up for the Rawbone.

Last deer hunt I sat in a deer stand sitting 100 yards from the feeder, while carrying a my KDF Voere Titan II in .308 Norma Mag with 4-12 Leupold on top. The deer was shot right through the heart. It was like shooting groups on the range. Not very exciting. Both of the guns above should be well capable of 2 inch or better at 100 yards. The pressure would be on me to shoot and the thrill of making one of these old hunters work again--that is exciting,

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of that Pre 64 Super Grade!
My photography skills are lacking but here it is.

The wood is absolutely beautiful with hand checkering you don’t see much anymore.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If I rifle hunt this year it will probably be my Remington 700 in .243. Action is bedded in a Boyds Spike Camp thumbhole stock. It shoots lights out. with a 24" barrel.

If I get my butt in gear, I could also shoot either my Stevens 200 in .270win or my Ruger American Compact in .308, both of these I have new Boyd's stocks I need to get the actions bedded in.
My trusty old Marlin 336 in .30-30 win is an option too.

There's a 95% chance I'll probably only bow hunt all season though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts