Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we are at the end of the hunting season.
I know everybody here bought something in the summer, or early fall to use this hunting season.

What did you buy, and how did it work out for you? Good time to find out whats quality and whats junk.

Personally, the biggest thing I bought was a hub style blind from Cabellas called the Trekker model.

I set it up in some trees, before bow season looking over a food plot. That thing went through some 60mph wind storms, and the whole season without any problems, other than me having to tighten up the tie down ropes on occasion.

It was less than a hundred bucks, and sets up in about two minutes, with another 10 minutes or so to stake it down. A stake in four corners, and guy ropes in six other areas makes it stable. See through/shoot through mesh windows on 4 sides. I took two deer from it. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hunters Specialities Fresh Earth Cover Scent spray. Always used a scent killer, but I decided I wanted to gonwitj a cover this season. I had a 350lb boar 8 yards away from me and also numerous deer at bow range. Anybody that has any idea about pigs know about there impeccable smelling. I'm hooked on it!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I actually bought a Thermacell this year, and carried it with me every trip afield, and never got a chance to use it. The flies and mosquitoes were never bad enough. There's always turkey season though! ;)

Scent Eliminators? I've been using Primos Silver XP (Fresh Earth) for a couple of years. That stuff is AMAZING!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I tried the Sugar beet powder and found it worked great. I had hits the very first night it was out and every night after that I had it out. I have used the HS fresh earth scent cover for several years now on my hats and boots and clothes from time to time. That is when I'm not wearing my CBR suit that is char coal lined. Had a doe Walt to within 10 feet of me and if I hadn't moved to get a better look and grab my ML she would have walked closer. Had a Therma Cell for a few now ass well and they work great. Have used it at home while kicked back on the back patio many times as well. Works better than them darn citronella candles and torches.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a thermacel three years ago, and have never had the occasion to use it. I still take it along though.

Bull, we don't have much of an insect problem around our house. The bats keep them thinned down really well.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
It also works well on flies I have found.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
My new Remington 11-87 super magnum Slug-Turkey-Predator shotgun with Winchester Rack Master Slugs work great.
Got it's first deer & a hog last weekend..Hog got juiced & I mean juiced @ 40 yards. We hunted for a good 6 hours & got into over 20 of them.
Only good clear shot was on a 50 or pound piggy & well he is history.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Good deal on the baby piggy.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The new wifi camera that I previously reviewed. Its now behind the house taking pics and still working great. I recently purchased 2 more blinds from Sportsmansguide for $39 each. They have silver in the fibers to control odor. The only thing I dont like about them is there are no window tie downs. But that is something that is easily fixed with some wooden clothes pins or chip clips.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I have one of those. Chip clips work great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts