Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know we are in a major drought but really whats up with all this rain at once. Weatherman is calling for 3 days straight of it. So whats mother nature trying to do to us dry us out then flood us out.

I got a half days hunt in yesterday with my son before we got rained out. Had to hold up in a utility barn for an hour. When it let up we ran the half mile back to the truck.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Its awesome! Slow, and allowing it to soak in.
You waterfowl hunters should really appreciate it. Ponds will fill, lakes will rise, covering vegetation creating habitat.
Its still warm, so upland and deer hunters will see new growth in natural browse, and food plots/farms get a much needed drink.
We have rivers in Okla that have not flowed for the first time in recorded history, killing millions of fish. It will take many years to get fishing in the rivers back to where it was.
Was off for the second time in 4 weeks today, and couldn't get out to hunt, but I'm greatfull for the rain. ;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am not going to complain about it. I know it is a little to late for the crops but now the livestock has water and the pastures will turn green for them to eat better forage. Yes some of the ponds will fill up a bit. I am happy for what we did get.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I am not going to complain about it. I know it is a little to late for the crops but now the livestock has water and the pastures will turn green for them to eat better forage. Yes some of the ponds will fill up a bit. I am happy for what we did get.
Actually its perfect for the winter wheat crops that have just been planted. Soybeans, and the corn suffered though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
This ain't bad, usually droughts end with a weeks worth of flooding. This is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try and hit the field again on Wed so I hope it stays cool

·
Registered
840 Posts
If I would've been able to hunt yesterday evening, you better believe the rain wouldn't have stopped me. I've hunted in a downpour before, and made it back to the house completely soaked. As long as it isn't freezing, I'm good. In fact I bought a waterproof jacket just for such an event.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I have great rain gear. Problem with me getting out yesterday is the 1/2 mile walk through a freshly planted wheat field with 4" of rain on top of it, much less getting one out of there. :'(

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had my boy and no rain gear as weather man said rain was to start Saturday night not early afternoon.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Rain made for good car working weather. Two sets of brake pads on the Grand Prix and Trooper, and a new fuel pump in the pickup. I'd still like to find the sob that put the fuel pump in the tank and I'd ........ :mad: Oh and btw, it's not easier to pull the bed off than drop the tank to change out the pump. And get a new fuel relay while your at it. Got the whole thing put back together and it still wouldn't start, couldn't hear the pump run, so go a new dohickey and it started right up.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
It was nice & steady.
Hopefully it will raise lake levels up if it keeps coming & waterfowl season will be a good one.
Look forward to a lot of field hunting this season for geese.
Let it rain & rain some more.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We ended up with 3.4 inches in Purcell. Saturday morning the bottom of the pond was so hard the dozer barely would get a bite, by monday morning I had about 2 1/2 feet of water in it. I was down to 1 wet pond on the place, now all 3 are good to go for a while, but keep the rain coming.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
1 1/4 at my home in Osage county, but over 4" at the farm in Grant. Pond is running over. ;D

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Just a tad over 2" here at Tecumseh. It was all slow to moderate rain with little run off to fill ponds. Saw the N. Canadian river was flowing big time so Eufala should come up some.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess we got around 3" here in OKC. Supposed to rain again Wed afternoon to evening time. I'll be packing rain gear this trip. Looks like masonbanta and I will be hooking up on Wed. Lets hope he brings me some luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts