Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what y'all are shooting.

Mine is an older model Browning Mirage Pro hunter. #70, 31" draw

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Mine used to be a Bear Kodiak Magnum at #65. Two years ago I popped the bicep tendon off the bone on my right elbow. After surgery and a rehab, the cross bow is what I have to use now with a crank to set the string. I shoot the Excaliber Equinox. Works really well, but then again, I shot 14 arrows at deer with my Bear, and recovered 13 animals. The only "miss" was a straight down shot on a 6 point that grazed him, but to my amazment after running 30 yds he came back to sniff the arrow. A bad mistake on his part.

In my bowhunting life I've always said that any deer taken with a bow is a trophy. You must use the best of your woods person skills to get close enough to take the shot, and must be a good bowperson to put the shot where it counts. ;D ;D

I like the video mount you have on your bow. You can sure review the shot, and find out if you need to go for the deer, or let it wait for awhile:D

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Matthews MQ32 65# 30in draw with GoldTip 5575 and 100gr ThunderHeads.

·
Registered
918 Posts
right now i have a 2008 bowtech guardian 27.5" at 80lbs with spot hogg hogg it 7 pin sight and a 2009 elite gt500 ninja 28" at 70lbs with spot hogg hogg it 5 pin and am looking for something else just dont know what both shooting easton flatlines and 100 grain tekans or muzzy mx3 i kinda have a problem with buying bows at one time i owned 2 recurves a longbow and 4 compounds

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the bow camera mount on e-bay for like $20. It doesn't get in the way and I always know where its pointing when its time for the magic shot. So far the only kill shot i have had with it didn't come out. I was so excited I hit the camera on the tree and it messed up the disk. If I had stopped recording it probable would have turned out fine. Rookie mistake.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
A friend of mine makes osage orange selfbows. Really pretty bows when he gets done putting real skake skin camo on it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I plain to get one here in another year or two.
Either a PSE or a Browning.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
this is my current setup after bicep tendon surgury last year.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess ya don't have to worry about catching a scope in the eye with that. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis, don't play fair anymore since he got his Excalibur crossbow. ;D
Deer just don't stand a chance anymore with Dennis & his crossbow in the woods. 8)

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Dennis, don't play fair anymore since he got his Excalibur crossbow. ;D
Deer just don't stand a chance anymore with Dennis & his crossbow in the woods. 8)
Actually, thats been a big complaint in lots of hunting circles.
I know its not an issue on this forum.
Several states, including Ok allow anybody without a disability to use a crossbow. In Ok you must be 60 yrs old and you can hunt with a crossbow at any time during bow season.
In my case with tearing the bicep tendon completely away from the bone, the surgery doesn't allow me to pull a bow any more. Sux, as I've taken lots of deer with my open bow compound. Never used any sights, or any other accessories. Just me, my fingers and the bow. But at least this keeps me in the woods for bow season.
One thing, no matter what you use during the bow season, you still have to use all your woodsman skills to get within range of the animal. At bow range(Mathews has a compound faster than my crossbow) They all shoot the same.

One thing about it, the crossbow has basically been unchanged for over 2000 years. The compound bow came about in the late 60's. I guess I'm shooting primative? ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
using a crossbow shouldn't just be for the disabled or for those over 60. i believe that if that is your weapon of choice then go for it. if my grandson is 5 or 6 years old and he wants to kill a deer or hog or whatever he will get the chance to do so and my crossbow will be his weapon of choice. these so called rules of engagement is bunk. we are losing young people because of the so called laws about what is legal. i shoot my crossbow and i shoot traditional and if the traditionals don't like it then they kiss my okie behind. they have no right as does anyone to make calls as to what is right and what isn't. we are losing so many kids to computers and the damn ps3's and that is not helping the hunting community at all. we need to get with the oklahoma legislators and get the laws right. i believe the kids should get to the hunters education programs but i know some kids just like my grandson will be educated on the proper ways of the hunting life.
well i said my piece if you like it then cool if not well tough.
rob k

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
using a crossbow shouldn't just be for the disabled or for those over 60. i believe that if that is your weapon of choice then go for it. if my grandson is 5 or 6 years old and he wants to kill a deer or hog or whatever he will get the chance to do so and my crossbow will be his weapon of choice. these so called rules of engagement is bunk. we are losing young people because of the so called laws about what is legal. i shoot my crossbow and i shoot traditional and if the traditionals don't like it then they kiss my okie behind. they have no right as does anyone to make calls as to what is right and what isn't. we are losing so many kids to computers and the damn ps3's and that is not helping the hunting community at all. we need to get with the oklahoma legislators and get the laws right. i believe the kids should get to the hunters education programs but i know some kids just like my grandson will be educated on the proper ways of the hunting life.
well i said my piece if you like it then cool if not well tough.
rob k
Good post! I believe its going to happen soon enough. The ODW is pretty progressive in my opinion about allowing new hunting regulations. For Gods sake the deer population is exploding, and any thing we as hunters can do to keep the herd healthy to get out kids and grandkids out, as well as the grandparents that had to give it up. Its coming...just keep pestering the wildlife dept and your local game ranger and they will notice soon enough. I'm kind of an expert at that since we have so many that work security for us on their days off. Won't give a name but one said that if 100 or so people email the big guy in OKC that he will direct the local rangers to start a straw poll. It may come up during the conferences they put up around the state every year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I shoot a PSE white tail obsession set at 65#. I sure miss shooting a long bow. Ive been using archery equipment for over 20 years now but only started using a compound about 3 years ago. I would like to sell it or trade it off so I can get me a minimum 55# draw long bow. Every deer Ive taken with the compound was in failing light and I had to resort back to instinct shooting any way. Might as well reduce how much weight Im hauling with me in the woods. Any body interested in my compound for their long bow let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis & Rob K- Good posts.
Will have to follow through on that email.{Dennis}

·
Registered
918 Posts
holy cow robs back from the dead how are ya brother give me a shout sometime 580 886 5985 just in case you lost my #

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I know Mason. :eek:
He has rising from his recliner & got back online. ;D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts