Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone shooting? I have a Savage Tactical in .223 w/6x18 scope and a Colt Match/Competition H-Bar w/6x18 scope. Use them both for pasture poodles and song dogs. 10/22,10/22mag, both heavy barrels. Ruger 17HMR. Taurus Tracker 17HMR. and a suppressed Walther P22.(SWEET) I have 2 witnessed kills at a little over 500 yards with the H-Bar on 2 unsuspecting prairie dogs. Me and my buddy were both members of Varmint Hunters Association and sent in a form. I got my 500 yard patch from them. It had to be witnessed by another member and then the form signed and sent back in.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sako 220 Swift.
Leopold VX-4 42power x 50mm generation2 green mil a dot.
35 grain Sierria Boattail 4250fps.
Yotes were 800 yards & juiced in a 5-10 mph cross wind.

This use to be my favorite varmite gun.
Gone now due to having to survive.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
H barrel Rem 22-250 and 55gr Vmax. Leopold 6-20 scope. Heavy to carry but drives tacks!
Bushmaster AR 15 20in barrel and full stock.

Last year cutting hay I shot 7 'yotes from the cab with a 9mm and 44mag as they went after field mice in the winrow. That was fun.

·
Registered
451 Posts
At the moment I'm getting fond of my Ruger Ultralight in 204 ruger with 4.5x14 Buckmasters. Also got a Howa 223 stainless bull barrel and a Ruger Compact 243 with 4.5x14 Buckmasters.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Farmboy's 204 Ruger is { SWEET }.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I bet it is, we need to get a prarie dog hunt GT and do some varmit poppin.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Since turkey season is over, it is a long dry spell for huntin'........

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I wish the city of Lawton would let ya hunt um over on Lake Ellsworth.
Little guys are everywere.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I HAD a place to hunt em up here, and the guy I worked for bought my ammo for hunting them ;D ;D ;D but, due to misterious reasons, they arent there anymore ;D ;D ;D

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Someone say prairie dog GT??? ;D ;D ;D I'm in!!!
Now we're talking ;D ;D Can't post my favorite varmit rig, as it isn't here yet. I expect delivery sometime in July. ;D ;D

For now, at short range, it the .17hmr, and long range its the Rem 22-250 with handloaded Hornady 40gr running thru the chrony at 4175fps. Last time I sighted it in you could cover the group with a dime at 100 yds, and a nickel at 200 yds. ;D

C

·
0 Posts
Im shooting A Remington 700 222. 28" barrel wood stock with a Bushnell 6x18x50, CVA optima elite 243 with a bushmaster 6x18x50, and just recently got a Mossberg 835 using a turkey barrel with a Randy Anderson extra full Dead Coyote choke tube, I plan on using 3 1/2" Dead Coyote ammo with this new Mossberg. The 835 also came with a fully rifled slugger barrel and I scoped it with a 3x9x42 NIKON. Gun and scope and sling all Mossy Oak Camo.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Ordered & received a Nikon Monarch 6X24X50 for my new, yet undelivered varmit rig. Talked to the gunmaker the other day, and he said to send the scope, he would mount it, & use it to shoot the warranty group before shipping ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nice scope...ott to be able to shoot a nats ass out @ 400 yards. :eek:

Dennis~ have ya seen the new Bushnell Elite 6500 seriers rifle scopes?{ Varmite riggs}
All the goods of a Leupold VX-4 with have the price. ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
my new truck/varmint rig is a nef 25-06 with bushnell banner 3-9x40 went as cheap as possible so i dont feel bad leaving it the truck when running hog traps and checking feeders and what not

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Thats the way I went with my 22-250. Just a truck gun to throw in the front seat when I drive down the hill to get the mail and paper. Smacked a few yotes & other varmits that way over the years ;D

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Dennis~ have ya seen the new Bushnell Elite 6500 seriers rifle scopes?{ Varmite riggs}
All the goods of a Leupold VX-4 with have the price. ;)
I saw an article on them in a mag and have been meaning to check it out. I have a couple of older bushnells now, & don't have any issues with them at all. Good scopes ;)
On the other hand, I have had 2 Leupold variX III's come apart in the field ??? ???

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis~ I hear ya on the Leupold issue had it happen to me too.
Now as the VX-4 go's they were bulit for the armed forces.
Leupold finaly sells them to cilvilian now.Under VX-V. VX-4 is just another new scope by leupold[not the samething].

I have the Bushnell Elite 3200 seriers in the 3x9x40 in the firefly reticle.
What a scope to have in lowlight conditions.
Cheak um out next time your in the market for a scope.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I will ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts