Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have deer in our yard every day, as we watered our yard during the drought, and have the only green grass in the area, as well as the persimmon trees are dropping, and today the acorns started. (47 trees in our yard).

The fawns are still spotted. I've never seen spots this late in our areal

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
This is a weird year, spring was early then adbruptly stopped, scorching dry summer and fall felt like it was here last week and now it's summer again. Acorns are dropping but most are bad inside, but the deer seemed to reproduce in good numbers but how the heck are they going to stay alive during the winter? Ma Nature is a cruel hard beast.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I have a feeling it's going to be a harsh winter as well. Between last year and this year combined, I'm willing to bet we will see the effects next year in low deer numbers and lack of 1 and 2 year olds.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If the red ants know anything about the upcoming winter, then yes we're gonna have a hum dinger of a winter. They are going crazy around the place, hoards of them bringing in all sorts of food. Makes you want to get your generator out and tuned up.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have the same two does, and two fawns in the yard daily, so I get to keep up with whats changing.
I haven't seen them in about a week, as I've been at the farm from before daylight to way after dark getting the wheat in. Slept in a little bit this morning, and saw them come across the fence, heading for the persimmon trees. The does have lost their red summer coats, and are grey now, and the fawns have lost their spots.

That was quick....

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Well I guess the deer are like the weather around here. If ya don't like it wait 10 min and it will change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts