Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's a deep question because I've been browsing through this following ODWC website:

Just from about 15 minutes of reading through that complex mess of rules, it seems much of the land open to the hunting public in Oklahoma is CLOSED in terms of gun deer seasons and/or antlerless deer. This includes regular gun seasons and sometimes holiday antlerless season. Many of these OK public managed lands aren't friendly towards those prospective adult hunters who want nothing but a female deer in their chest freezers killed with a center fire bullet. She-deer taste the yummiest and a gun is America's favorite way to take her.

The key words and worries for me are both GUN and ANTLERLESS when thinking about public land opportunities.

I live in Lawton, Comanche County. I have yet to hunt in Ok and I'm fairly new here.

Please chime in with any public-accessible land in this state you know of that will allow at least a couple days (preferably a couple of weeks) during deer season to harvest a doe with a modern gun. I prefer to be as close to Lawton as possible. This may also include any private lands participating in the public hunter access program. Even some OLAP managers/owners don't want to hear cracking rifles on their properties.

I have a hunch that the state game regulators (or the land managers especially) often feel rifles on public lands are "too dangerous". On top of that, taking an antlerless deer also seems to have limited opportunity especially with a gun. I don't understand the logic of allowing guns for bucks but only bows and muzzle-loaders for does. The modern rifle is the most traditional way to hunt deer and this putting a damper on American tradition really sucks.

Most of the land in Ok holding game is private and I know not one rural landowner. There are probably less firearms restrictions on private lands as long as the permission-granting landowner approves of your kind of weapons. I want to try to make the most of the public lands if I can. Trying to finds the lands that suit my hunting style can be daunting indeed.

Besides deer, I'm also interested in dove but dove can virtually taken with a shotgun and a retriever anywhere dove hunting is legal during dove seasons and a shotgun is how I would take dove.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
You can shoot multiple does during the gun season. Most public land/ WMAs are draw only for the muzzle loader and general gun season.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It seems as drawing tags only pertains to 'controlled' hunts from what I've read so far. Meanwhile, I went down that WMA list for SW Oklahoma a little further. There were a couple of areas that had a short 9-day window (the first nine of gun season) to take deer with guns and no sex and firearm type restrictions. These same areas also had no holiday antlerless gun season, however. You get skunked in those 9 gun days, you are SOL.

One area, Kaw WMA Kay and Osage Counties has both a 9-day window of either sex during regular gun and a holiday antlerless gun season in case a rifle doe hunter gets skunked during that nine-day window. Rifle doe hunters basically have 23 days per this upcoming deer season to bag one or more Ok WMA does in some areas.

Now, some here might have their favorite public areas in Ok to hunt does with rifles when and where it is permitted. They may wish to chime in about those or maybe keep those places a secret too. I will have to do some more research and see if any OLAP properties allow rifles.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Living in Lawton you have a good amount of city land around you to hunt. I’ve hunted much of it for deer, Turkey, waterfowl and dove over the years. Also being a VET you can hunt on Ft Sill.
Give it a day or two and babe will pop on and can fill you in on that stuff. He hunts Ft Sill and around that area. It’s been 2 years since I hunted OK.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, Bull, I go to my VA doctor appointments at the VA clinic on Fort Sill and go to the Commissary too as a privilege. I'll have to google hunting on Fort Sill and read more about it.

[a while later] I found this:

Chapter 3 Requirements 3-1. Eligibility. a. Hunting, Fishing, Wood cutting, and Boating.

Participation in these activities is
limited to— (1) Military personnel: active duty (Common Access Card (CAC) required), retired veterans (Department of Defense (DD) Form 2RET or DD Form 2 required), Medal of Honor recipients and honorably discharged veterans rated by the Veterans Administration as 100 percent disabled from a Service-connected injury (DD Form 1173

Fort Sill Regulation 200-1, 4 October 20195 or DD Form 2765 as well as a letter from Department Veterans Affairs stating the percentage of disability awarded), Selected Reserve (Active Guard and Reserve, Full Time Support, Individual Mobilization Augmentees) must present a valid Uniformed Services Military ID Card (CAC or DD Form 2RES) and Leave and Earnings Statement or Orders) and Foreign military service members permanently stationed on Fort Sill that are issued a Uniformed Services (Military) ID Card. These individuals are eligible for Sponsor Annual Hunting and Fishing permits, and may bring guests as discussed in paragraph 3-5 of this regulation

I don't think I'm eligible to hunt Fort Sill because I'm just a DD214 veteran. I have no SC disability rating. No MOH. I'm not technically retired from the military.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have been here in Lawton since 2000. I have hunted waterfowl, turkey, deer and dove. I hunt at Lake Lawtonka and Ellsworth which is City land. I haven't hunted on Ft. Sill in awhile but I go fishing there. The hunting on lake property is shotgun, archery and muzzleloader. I have had success harvesting deer, waterfowl and turkey on City property.
Ft. Sill has elk ,deer, small game, waterfowl and turkey. You must take the hunting safety course for post and purchase a Ft. Sill hunting permit. If are 100% Disabled you can get a free lifetime permit. All need is a copy of your letter showing your VA rating. The City will also give you a free lifetime permit if have a Oklahoma Disabled Veterans hunting permit. I hope this information is helpful. Just let me know if have anymore questions.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baby, I don't have any SC disability. Is there a contact person, email or telephone number for Fort Sill recreational information as hunting, fishing, etc.? Do guns used for Fort Sill hunting need to have any special on-post registration? Is a rifle ever permitted to take deer on Fort Sill?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Call 5804423553. That's the number you need to contact. It is the Ft. Sill Sportsman Center.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Call 5804423553. That's the number you need to contact. It is the Ft. Sill Sportsman Center.
Thanks, I did a little more googling and actually found a link to that facility:

I will have to call them and ask them for their street address. I don't know if the Garmin Nuvi in my car can navigate on post with just military building numbers. I think will just go to that Sportsman Center in person one day and ask them for the whole lowdown on hunting on post.I have VA ID card and post pass anyway. Maybe I should also bring a copy of my DD214 if they want to see it. As for fishing, I have no desire to fish in Ok. I prefer fly-fishing in the Pac. NW in mountain rivers there for salmon, steel-head or rainbow trout. The only two game species of interest to me in Ok right now are whitetail and dove. Maybe rifle varminting some non-game species too as gophers or rats (any pesky unprotected rodents).

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
You ever fly fish WY?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Striper fishing at Lake Texoma sure is a lot of fun though! Something to keep in mind as I've seen you posting the same questions on other forums, look closely where the WMA or OLAP is located and what other activities are offered - might answer why you aren't finding as many places to shoot a longer range rifle instead of shotgun or ML. Lots of hikers and other users of public land so safety is sometimes a factor.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You ever fly fish WY?
No, sir, never did anything outdoors in Wyoming. I've only fished in Idaho and California. Ooops, in Oklahoma too ... my memory just got clear ... I was stationed in the army at Sill in 1990. Two sergeants in my section took me out to some pond on Fort Sill, if I recall, around November. I borrowed one sergeant's spinning rod with a bobber and cast it out a couple of times for fun. Never got a bite. I would not eat any fish caught there anyway. I'd just release them if I caught them. One of those sergeants also talked about deer hunting with his NCO buddy in my section that fall. I don't know if they hunted on post or somewhere in Oklahoma nearby off post. Several NCOs in my section used talk about hunting deer several times around November of that year. Much of my unit deployed to the Persian Gulf and my lance missile unit was just a skeleton crew by the time I left in January of 1991. If I recall that sergeant of mine got skunked that deer season. One of the other sergeants one day at work said excitedly, "You didn't even get one damm deer!" So then I knew that two of my sergeants had gone hunting. I did not even think there was any hunting right on Sill back in 1990. A year later I got reassigned to Fort Ord, CA. There was another post down south of Monterey called Fort Hunter-Ligget where we regularly did maneuvers. I then discovered for the first time that hunting did occur on military installations because there were several guys there with long guns, camo and hunter orange walking around during the fall there. Hunter-Ligget is a very woodsy and hilly area in central coastal California. My NCO's briefed us that there were hunters on Ligget during deer season and to be cautious. I had to drive a 5-ton truck down there on some army special task to pick up an army water buffalo on that post at the time.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you go to the VA you should have some disability. Did you ETS or Retire from the Army?

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you go to the VA you should have some disability. Did you ETS or Retire from the Army?
VA healthcare benefits are for all veterans with an honorable discharge. Service-connected disabled vets have even more VA privileges and benefits. I was DD214'ed. Honorable. Chaptered. I early-outed in 1995 after 7 years combined service. Clinton's RIF. Because of the Mission Act, I now have Commissary/PX privileges and I have a Veteran ID card to show the checker in lieu of a military ID card.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Everyone who leaves active duty gets a DD214. Even those who discharge after 1 enlistment or get separated and forced out. I did just shy of 14 years in the Navy and was involuntarily separated/ forced out. I’ve got a DD214 from that and received a 50% rating after applying for it.
I’ve also got one from my time in the Air Force from which I retired.
If you served 7 years and got out you can go to any VA benefits office and have a medical records review done and claim disability and receive a VA disability rating based on that. You are then entitled to medical care by the VA.
The mission act allowed all those with service connected disabilities or not to use the exchange and commissary.
I have 2 brothers with VA service connected disabilities that otherwise had no base access until the mission act. It’s a great thing in my option. OKC has several offices you can contact to get the ball rolling for VA benefits.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I’ve never taken advantage of the mission act in person. I have spent some serious money on the internet sales of the Exchange though.
Not everything is cheaper, but the electronics on sale can’t be beat. No sales tax and free shipping.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I’ve never taken advantage of the mission act in person. I have spent some serious money on the internet sales of the Exchange though.
Not everything is cheaper, but the electronics on sale can’t be beat. No sales tax and free shipping.
The Commissary charges a 5% "building maintenance" fee on purchases but not regular sales tax. They ding you for using a credit card too unlike Walmart. Oklahoma sales tax on groceries is 9%, for goodness sake. But sometimes the Commissary has better quality foods than Walmart. I know I can get Italian dry salami for my home-baked pizza at the Commissary a few dollars cheaper per pound actually than at Walmart. I have to now buy my deli ham for breakfast at the Commissary because the stuff from Walmart has been making me feel ill lately. But many items at the Exchange actually cost more. I just buy a select few things I like better (golden delicious apples, Heinz mayonnaise, frozen blueberries) at the Commissary but get most of my stuff at Walmart. Target is more expensive than Walmart for groceries but sometimes I get a select few things there too.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Everyone who leaves active duty gets a DD214. Even those who discharge after 1 enlistment or get separated and forced out. I did just shy of 14 years in the Navy and was involuntarily separated/ forced out. I’ve got a DD214 from that and received a 50% rating after applying for it.
I’ve also got one from my time in the Air Force from which I retired.
If you served 7 years and got out you can go to any VA benefits office and have a medical records review done and claim disability and receive a VA disability rating based on that. You are then entitled to medical care by the VA.
The mission act allowed all those with service connected disabilities or not to use the exchange and commissary.
I have 2 brothers with VA service connected disabilities that otherwise had no base access until the mission act. It’s a great thing in my option. OKC has several offices you can contact to get the ball rolling for VA benefits.
I honestly cannot claim any service-connected disability and feel I have no legitimate grounds to do so. The army screwed with my head but I'm still level-headed as a civilian. Some vets claim PTSD but some of those might be frauds. A fellow vet from the Marines I was a buddy with 12 years ago told me he got a 50% SC rating for PTSD. He served directly in that deadly failed helicopter operation when Carter tried to get the American hostages out of Iran in 1980. Supposedly, that whole operation really got to his head. He witnessed the killing of fellow Marines. Every vet who gets an honorable, is entitled to some category of VA healthcare, it's based on means test. Low-income vets may not have to pay any copay. I can't get any VA dental because I'm not SC 100%.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
The Commissary charges a 5% "building maintenance" fee on purchases but not regular sales tax. They ding you for using a credit card too unlike Walmart. Oklahoma sales tax on groceries is 9%, for goodness sake. But sometimes the Commissary has better quality foods than Walmart. I know I can get Italian dry salami for my home-baked pizza at the Commissary a few dollars cheaper per pound actually than at Walmart. I have to now buy my deli ham for breakfast at the Commissary because the stuff from Walmart has been making me feel ill lately. But many items at the Exchange actually cost more. I just buy a select few things I like better (golden delicious apples, Heinz mayonnaise, frozen blueberries) at the Commissary but get most of my stuff at Walmart. Target is more expensive than Walmart for groceries but sometimes I get a select few things there too.
I'm 65 miles from the nearest Commissary. It wouldn't pay me to travel that far. When I was active the exchange and commissary were cheaper than civilian equals by a long shot.
My last year in the regular Army in the mid 70's saw the conversion of both because of complaints by retailers in the military towns that they couldn't compete against them.
The operating principles and pricing were changed. We found it was just as cheap to shop off base after that with more selections and the occasional sale.

·
Registered
Toyota
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm 65 miles from the nearest Commissary. It wouldn't pay me to travel that far. When I was active the exchange and commissary were cheaper than civilian equals by a long shot.
My last year in the regular Army in the mid 70's saw the conversion of both because of complaints by retailers in the military towns that they couldn't compete against them.
The operating principles and pricing were changed. We found it was just as cheap to shop off base after that with more selections and the occasional sale.
Lawton no longer has a large regional chain stand-alone supermarket. There are these dinky joints called Country Mart and Aldi's. They are overpriced and have not good selection. I was stationed in Fort Sill in 1990 and there was a large warehouse-style 24-hour you-bag-yourself supermarket here but it is no more. Monkey Wards is long gone too. Walmart since has come to town and monopolized this whole joint. A lot of former local businesses have skedaddled out of town. Lawton is full of weedy and trashed vacant lots. I think bad politics caused this town to tank. They are too damm cheap to pave the streets or too broke. There are more police cars in this town than Mother's has cookies. We have Fidelity internet here which is damm near $75/month for HS Internet. There is no local competition so consumers suffer. One should think the Fort Sill soldiers and DOD civilians would keep the Lawton economy in good shape.

Lawton and Fort Sill have also been getting a bum rap for high crime rates. Maybe we need all those police cars here. I was hoping that OK's newer Constitutional Carry law would be an incentive for more good people to pack concealed guns and take a big bite out of this crime as a deterrent. The thugs now have to guess who might be carrying out on the streets and that should be a good thing. I've noticed a bunch of homeless and panhandlers around Lawton too lately. I just say sorry I carry no cash. I pack my Smith 642-2 religiously all over Lawton except those few no-gun zones. I try to stay out of those areas like the plague. I've been seeing more residents in my neighborhood with German shepherds out on the streets too. A big scary-looking dog goes a long way in deterring bad guys too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts