Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some more thoughts ...... American men and boys largely have little interest in horses these days. Before the advent of motor transportation, the male sex literally lived and died in the saddle. For males in the US, horses are largely limited to farmers, cowboys, law enforcement, the US Forest Service, Hollywood, sheep ranchers, outfitters and guide services and the Amish. Less than 6% of the American population sport hunts. Deer hunting is mostly likely in a blind or stand close to where the pickup truck was parked. ATV's can be used to haul shot big game out of the woods on private property. BLM/public lands largely prohibit motorized vehicles in the hunting fields.

In America, hunting and horsemanship traditions both are on the verge of extinction. Hunting and horses both have become prohibitively expensive for many people.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a horse I’ll let you shoot off of 😂😂
In the bygone days of the American horse cavalry and cowboys on long drives, horses had to be gun broke damn well for sure. I would want a sensible utilitarian horse trained like he was fit for a Civil War battle, an Indian war or home on the range 1875.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
A message I have posted in a horse forum based in the UK:

Vehicles are prohibited on most public lands for hunting or game recovery in America. It's up to private landowners if they allow vehicles provided one has permission to hunt their properties. Having to drag big game out from the field or woods by hand as opposed to the allowed use of a conveyance is a disincentive for many in America to hunt. Neither hunting nor horses (or perhaps even mules) are a feasible proposition for many here because of prohibitive costs and a myriad of regulations that get in the way. There is also a lot of aversion to horses by American males and a lot of aversion to sport hunting to many here in general. A lot of these anti-hunters will gladly consume domestic meats, domestic fowl and fish. One young American male coworker once told me that horses were only good for dog food. A boy in school once said he hated horses. Sport hunting and recreational horsemanship both in America are becoming increasingly exclusive and/or limited to rural people.

Before the advent of the automobile, horses and horseback riding were accessible to most people or at least as many people, percentagewise, who have their own car today.
The horse was widely logistically supported (liveries in towns, stables, farriers, blacksmiths, etc.) as much as the automobile is supported today by the economy. Many more Americans were into agriculture 100+ years ago too. Famliy farms and homesteads were once common. The ever-increasing move into big cities and suburbia, I believe, largely has to do with the demise of both long-standing traditions of sport hunting and recreational horsemanship.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts