Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Golfers hire caddies for assitance on the course. Fishing party boats hire deck hands. Where and how can a non-guided deer hunter hire a sort of "caddy" for field assistance? Is there a special name for such a "deer caddy"?

The CADDY (unless there is a better term for this line of work) should be able to drag the deer from where it's down to the parked truck. I would also like a CADDY who can gut the animal and do it well. The quarry should be handled well by the worker to prevent contamination and ruining the meat. I don't want full-on guide or outfitter services, just some strong helping hands that can do the hard and dirty work after I squeeze the trigger. The meat processor can do the rest once the gutted deer is pulled off the truck. I don't like loafing or goofing off on the job. The CADDY, if you will, should have the work ethic of an Amish plowhorse and only charge a fair-market fee for good services rendered. I would like a flat rate for the whole hunting trip and not pay an hour-by-hour wage. What is a fair-market price for deer-dragging services to get one whitetail doe out of the field gutted?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Soooooo you want someone to wait on you - where they can't be working for someone else at say, $10-15/hr - for an entire hunting trip of yours - and have enough skill to make an excellent field dress on your deer after hauling it out if somewhere by themselves (so now you're potentially talking use of an ORV of sorts)?

Sounds great man.

I'd say a flat $200/day is reasonable whether you shot something or not (10 hrs waiting + skill involved + expectation to drag something up to a half mile).

I'd make it $300 though if I had to hang around you all day and listen to your pondering.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
It’s called a hunting buddy or friend. Of course they are there to help out and enjoy the hunt as well. Usually they only charge a couple beers and a nice hot meal. BUT you have to put in the work as well. I’ve played “pack mule” for multiple buddies and groups. I learned a lot about elk hunting in the process and made some great connections.

You are looking for a paid hired hand to do all the dirty and hard work it sounds like. Your best bet would be find someone who wants to learn about hunting that has never been and have them come along, so long as they know the arrangements in advance. Provided you know what you are doing yourself, they may stand to learn something as well. Otherwise what you speak of and ask is not something I’ve ever heard of and for many logical reasons.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Some years ago I was up at the range and an old white haired man who had to be in his 80 or even 90's ambled up to the firing line using a cane to help walking. As he slowly worked his way to the shooting bench, two teenage boy were hustling back and forth carrying spotting scopes, rifles, sand bags, ammunition-everything needed for an afternoon on the range. The old Gentleman looked at me and smiled and said, "as long as you have grandsons you can still go hunting."

One of the kids said, "as long as we have grampa, we get to go hunting and shot some cool guns."

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soooooo you want someone to wait on you - where they can't be working for someone else at say, $10-15/hr - for an entire hunting trip of yours - and have enough skill to make an excellent field dress on your deer after hauling it out if somewhere by themselves (so now you're potentially talking use of an ORV of sorts)?

Sounds great man.

I'd say a flat $200/day is reasonable whether you shot something or not (10 hrs waiting + skill involved + expectation to drag something up to a half mile).

I'd make it $300 though if I had to hang around you all day and listen to your pondering.
I would say absolutely nothing while hunting. I don't want to spook the venison. No motorized vehicle may be used from where the deer goes down back to the truck. Is there a marketplace online where one can post a classifieds asking for this sort of help? I might be able to pick a strong young fellow up from an organization like Labor Ready if they have such a thing in Oklahoma. I've also heard of people that go by homeless shelters or rescue missions to pick up cheap day labor. Maybe a C note for one of those guys. They will do anything for a pack of cigs. I could even supply a wheelbarrow for a doe. I don't know if I could trust any of these strange guys to gut a deer nicely and neatly. Somebody should offer this kind of business.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's like there's some kind of vortex just pulling me in when I know not to reply......but gotta. If you're going to pick up a stranger at the homeless shelter, my assumption is they'd be riding with you to/from the hunting area cause you know they don't even have a 95 Corolla. See, you're already 1 step above homeless! I honestly doubt you'd be quiet for that long. Another assumption would be you don't want him/her to be with you during said shooting event thus no talking during the "hunt".

I honestly think you are just trying to get under our skin with some of your over-reaching statements. "They will do anything for a pack of cigs.". Please show me proof of that. When I say proof I mean first hand knowledge. Yes, there are day labor gigs. Are you willing to pay $100 every day you need someone to do your dirty work? Very likely you wouldn't kill a venison on your first day. Maybe you would, there's lots of venison here in OK. Hell no you couldn't trust a homeless person to field dress your venison correctly - why even ask?

Post on Facebook Marketplace: Young sap needed for experimental startup business. May pay $100, may pay a pack of cigs - depends on how desperate you are. And, you need to be strong, able to field dress a venison, drag said venison to 95 Corolla, strap to hood. Hard of hearing would be a plus...for you. OH, and if you have a pickup to put dead venison in after you've properly field dressed, there'll be an extra pack of cigs bonus.

WHERE IN THE HELL DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS CRAP???? Meds running a little low?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I would say absolutely nothing while hunting. I don't want to spook the venison. No motorized vehicle may be used from where the deer goes down back to the truck. Is there a marketplace online where one can post a classifieds asking for this sort of help? I might be able to pick a strong young fellow up from an organization like Labor Ready if they have such a thing in Oklahoma. I've also heard of people that go by homeless shelters or rescue missions to pick up cheap day labor. Maybe a C note for one of those guys. They will do anything for a pack of cigs. I could even supply a wheelbarrow for a doe. I don't know if I could trust any of these strange guys to gut a deer nicely and neatly. Somebody should offer this kind of business.
Tinder or Grinder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have back and other health problems. I now doubt I would ever be able to find decent and reliable hired help for deer hunting unless I pay a big-name guide or outfitter big $$$$$. Google just doesn't have any websites for the services I'm interested in. Craigslist has yard work and house painting offered, but no deer-dragging services listed.

Back in the 1990's, I read some hunting magazine article about how some local high-school boy was hired cheap to drag deer out. Maybe $15 back then. The boy might have been known personally by the writer. Nobody I know hunts or has a boy to spare for such work.

I know about those rescue mission temp gigs because I've been there myself in Boise, ID, years 2004/2005. I know what the pay was, not chit. A woman once came in asking for 3 men to paint her home. A lot of those homeless men have a heavy drinking or tobacco addiction. What they will do for a beer, a bottle of booze or a pack of smokes. I once busted my a$$ for 5 whole 10-hour days on a clean-up job with wheelbarrows and shovels after a house roofing job was done on a customer's large home and only got $100 for it. $20/day. $2/hour. Under the table help. Huge heaps of torn-up tar paper and nails lying everywhere around the yard. I would have gladly hauled a deer in a wheelbarrow a mile for only $25 then. Maybe gutted it for another $25 if I'd possessed the right skills and tools. I was built like a mule then but not any more.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just don't trust a homeless guy I don't know to gut my deer. I would not how to do a background check to check his experience level. If it's simple manual labor like wheelbarrows, picks, lawn mowers, work gloves, weeding, hoes and shovels, that's one thing. But handling something as fine as a big-game animal for meat around a strange man armed with a hunting gun, well.....dangerous fugitives hide out in those nasty places like homeless joints.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
So go hunt yourself and if you kill one then gut it and pack it out yourself. The tens of thousands of hunters around the country do it each year.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So go hunt yourself and if you kill one then gut it and pack it out yourself. The tens of thousands of hunters around the country do it each year.
Some people can't read well. I have health issues. I either have to be able to find affordable hired help or just eat beef when comes to eating critters that formerly stood on the hoof. I can handle a limit of dove or pheasant on my own though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts